GotCrabs

Australian Native Fish & Shrimp Tank

Australian Native Fish & Shrimp Tank

Aquarium: Mr Aqua 12g (90cm x 21cm x 24cm) 45ltr

Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister (4 Course Pads, 1 Fine Pad, 1 Carbon Pad)

Light: BeamsWork 90cm LED (129 Bulbs, 120 White, 9 Blue)

Heater: Aqua One 100w Glass Heater (26c)

Substrate: Pet's Choice Natural River Gravel

Flora: Lilaeopsis brisbanica, Glossostigma elatinoides, Hydrocotyle tripartita

Fertiliser: AquaGreen Dinosaur Pee

Fauna: Pseudomugil gertrudae (9), Iriatherina werneri (9), Denariusa australis (7), Caridina sp NTnilotica (20)

Food: AquaGreen Aquaculture Crumble, OF Insta Fresh Brine Shrimp, OF Insta Fresh Cyclops

Water Treatment: API Quick Start, API Tap Water Conditioner, API Bio Chem Zorb

Hardscape: Malaysian Driftwood

Extras: Fluval Edge Pre Filter Sponge, HPM D817/2 Automatic Timer

Notes: 10 Hour Photo Period

Tank Flooded: 11/11/2015

Plants Added: 11/11/2015

Fish Added: 03/12/2015

Shrimp Added: 09/12/2015

541520b1-68bc-4869-a45a-3a82cc716a0b_zpseuqsvppf.jpg

Edited by GotCrabs

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, here it is, my native Australian fish, shrimp and plant tank.

This time around I wanted to focus more on the fish, shrimp, plants rather than setting up a nice looking scape/display, hence the reason why the tank is less planted compared to past tank displays I have had in the past.

I decided I wanted to go fully native, so all fish, shrimp and plants are all native Australian, mainly found in the Northern Territory and Queensland, found in billabongs, rivers, creeks, water holes and supplied by Dave and Robyn at AquaGreen up at Howard Springs in the Northern Territory.

I wanted to go down the native path as I find the normal local fish store fish, shrimp and plants a bit boring and more common, I wanted something different, non common as well as native Australian but also appealing to the eye, so after asking questions here on the forum, reading up online on certain native fish, shrimp, plants and emails back and forward to Robyn and Dave at AquaGreen this was the end result.

Due to the small size of my tank, 45 litres, 90cm long, 21cm wide, 24cm high, I decided on purchasing Pseudomugil gertrudae (Spotted Blue Eyes), Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin Rainbows) from Aquagreen mainly due to their size, displaying and colours, these fish are perfect for the dimensions of this tank ranging from 2cm to 4cm, perfect, I have 9 Spotted Blue Eyes and 9 Threadfin Rainbows, 3 males and 6 females of each, all settled in well adapting to their new surroundings and started to display natural colouring after around half an hour in their new home and hopefully within a few days and a variety of foods will display full colouring to what they are capable of.

With plants and substrate, I wasn't able to purchase river sand locally and would have cost a bit of coin to get it mailed to me from out of town, seeing I'm in country South Australia, so I decided to go with what I could easily purchase locally which ended up being Pet's Choice Natural River gravel, it's rather bright once the LED is on but it will have to do, plant wise, also purchased from AquaGreen I went with smaller plants to free up the mid to top section of the tank so that fish were able to school and get around easier with much more room, so I went with Lilaeopsis brisbanica, Glossostigma elatinoides and Hydrocotyle tripartita, the Lilaeopsis melted quite a bit, I still have some left though which seems to be OK, the Glossostigma melted as well but not as bad, but the Hydrocotyle is going great and showing new growth, at this stage I'm thinking I'll stay with the low number of plants, but if I do end up planting more, again it will be more native plants found in the Northern Territory and Queensland.

In the next week or two, I will be ordering a number of Caridina sp NTnilotica, also known as Darwin Algae Shrimp, these shrimp aren't too small so shouldn't be hassled by the Spotted Blue Eyes and Threadfin Rainbows as their mouth and throat are too small to consume a normal sized adult, although possible to snatch a juvenile here and there, but Darwin Algae Shrimp aren't know to breed well as most juvi don't survive, some do.

I wanted to purchase native shrimp as something else to display in the tank, but also due to their capabilities to strongly feed on algae and left over fish foods in the tank, so I'm thinking 20 to 30 should be more than enough, again will be purchased through Dave and Robyn at AquaGreen.

Lighting, I'm using a BeamsWork 90cm LED with 120 white bulbs and 9 blue bulbs, would have preferred just white bulbs but when purchasing the light I was new to the game and didn't realise I didn't really need the blue light side of things, in photos it appears to be rather bright, but in person it isn't and at first I was worried wouldn't be strong enough to help with plant growth, but I think should be fine though, I am running it for 10 hours a day on a automatic timer, some think this is too long a photo period but I think with the light not being too bright it should be fine.

Filter is an Eheim 2213 Canister, have always liked Eheim 2213's so went with another one, filter media is all sponge that came with the canister, 4 course pads, 1 fine pad, 1 carbon pad and have added an API Bio Chem Zorb pouch to help in clearing the yellow water with was produced by the Malaysian driftwood in the tank, I also added a Fluval Edge Pre Filter sponge with is perfect for this filter as it fits perfectly over the canister intake to prevent future fish fry and juvenile shrimp from being sucked in.

Foods are crushed flake, mosquito wrigglers and AquaGreen aquaculture crumble, which I think is crushed Barramundi pellets, the fish have taken to the crumble really well, all I do is wet my finger, put it in the food and what ever is stuck to my finger is put in the tank which surprisingly is a large amount, but not too much, I am also looking into crushing algae waffers and left over Benibachi Kale tablets I have as a test run.

Future plans? At this stage I'm not sure, I'm thinking for now to leave it as is and just let the tank do it's thing, hopefully have the fish and shrimp breed would be ideal and I'm sure it will eventually happen, so fingers crossed, plants? again not sure, but best to leave as is at the moment, as mentioned above, if I do go with more plants, they will again be native Australian.

So that's that people, this is my first full native Australian fish, shrimp and plant tank.

Apologies for the poor quality photos taken from my iPhone 5s but it's the best I can do at the moment, without pulling out and stuffing around with my Canon EOS 40D.

Cheers.

IMG_0721_zps8g8lxxyj.jpg

IMG_0724_zpszp0d6iz6.jpg

Edited by GotCrabs

Darwin Algae Shrimp arrived in the mail today from AquaGreen, all alive and well, so cool these little fellas, amazing that they are roughly the same size as the fish.

All got to work cruising around, munching on some left over foods that had developed into a fluff, munching on the driftwood also, tiny little claws working hard, probably should have gotten a few more actually, oh well.

Have put an order in, also with AquaGreen for some Limnophila brownii, Myriophyllum dicoccum and Denariusa australis.

Denariusa australis came in the mail this morning via AquaGreen, ordered 6, received 7, nice little fish, 4 aren't too sure about their new home, the other 3 are happy as Larry getting around the tank.

My order of OF Insta Fresh Brine Shrimp, OF Insta Fresh Cyclops also came this morning, thought I'd test the Cyclops first and went well, all fish accepted the food no worries.

Last few days I've gotten a film on the surface of the water, bacteria? Did a say 30% water change, film is still there though so will do another change in a couple days.

The plants I ordered were no good, covered in algae so didn't want to use them in the tank, they are now in the tub I have outside that I might put some Desert Rainbows in eventually.

Thanks [MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION], had plans to add Limnophila brownii (Darwin River Ambulia) and Myriophyllum dicoccum (Howard River Milfoil) but both weren't in the greatest condition and also full of algae so didn't want to take the risk of introducing plants full of algae into the tank, was going to just add those plants and that would be it but I guess not now.

No worries, will do another water change probably tomorrow, I don't want to shock the new fish and will also do the paper towel trick once the film comes back.

Well, some advice, if you have shrimp in your tank, don't keep them with Denariusa australis, they have cleared the Darwin Algae Shrimp out, guess I won't be looking to order more any time soon, although the shrimp are the same size, if not larger than the Denariusa, they still get picked off.

Received the Lilaeopsis brisbanica and Limnophila brownii this morning, all in excellent condition, Lilaeopsis was thick as so I broke down into small pieces, Limnophila was also in excellent condition, trimmed each bunch into two and planted everything in.

I was getting used to the bare and simple look, so looking at the tank now it all looks so crowded, I'll get used to it.

So here it is, as is... don't think I'll be adding any more flora in.

07b402cb-b4ae-4999-ad85-84efe7ed8e03_zpssy5be79h.jpg

IMG_0848_zpsiaxebeoc.jpg

IMG_0847_zps4jetklv1.jpg

Ambulia is absolutely thriving, can see clear as day new growth, it's only been in the tank since Wednesday, also getting the redish colour I have read about, so the Ambulia is going great, Lilaeopsis is having some melt, which I expected though, all good, it'll bounce back.

I'm considering taking out the Penny Fish, they are cleaning out my Darwin Algae Shrimp and I really need them in there as a clean up crew, so I'm thinking I might move them into Mum's tank which only has Guppys in there, shame, the Penny Fish are nice.

Yup, made the decision to take the Penny Fish out, they are picking off Darwin Algae Shrimp right infront of me, so don't have too many left and to me with this tank the Darwin Algae Shrimp are more important to the tank than the Penny Fish as the DAS are the clean up crew, so moved all 7 of the Penny Fish over to Mum's Guppy tank, it's heavily planted in there so they should love it, now to grab another load of DAS, GRRR!!!