PlecFan

Help with ID please

Hi everyone, brand new here and joined to pick the wealth of knowledge on plecs and cichlids.

ive just picked up my first plecs (4 x choc/rhino plecs, 2x long fin marbles and a sail fin this morning from a very helpful and breeder in Waterford - Hi if your reading this and thank you! ;) )

im picking up a breeding pair of peps, a gold spot and two others that I would like correctly ID'd please.

below is the pics of the two in question. Thanks in advance!

post-17069-14711634630213_thumb.jpg

post-17069-14711634630457_thumb.jpg

Definitely not L008, could be hybrids as there is alot going around these days.

The top one has some resemblance to L397 but doesn't look quite right, the one in the second pic looks nearly L134 but not quite right either and it looks like it has a short face which is a deformity that some L's get.

I'm no expert when it comes to L's so don't take these comments as gospel.

My advice would be to have a look at some books like the back to nature guide to L numbers and do some comparisons.

[MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] may be able to help with id. If you let me copy the pics I could send them to a mate that knows a lot about L's and get his opinion.

Cheers mick

You can see the bigger one is already pretty hairy and a close look at the smaller fellow shows a few smal bristles? starting on his lip/nose.... Very prett but I'd really love to know what they are or what a possible mix they are.... The smaller guy sold to me as a L066?

post-17069-14711634634166_thumb.jpg

post-17069-14711634634328_thumb.jpg

post-17069-147116346345_thumb.jpg

post-17069-1471163463473_thumb.jpg

post-17069-14711634634929_thumb.jpg

When it comes to ID'ing plecs it best to reference -

There are 3 books that will be your best friend - Aqualog - All L-Numbers, Datz and Back to Nature L-Numbers

Back to Nature can also be referenced online

Other online sources would be http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16

While l-numbers are juvinile they will generally change dramatically when in Sub Adult and Adult

Ok, thanks guys for the info....seems they will probably be doomed to a display tank in that case...not really keen on breeding hybrids and I got these two with the aim of breeding as the seller was either taking advantage of a beginner like myself or simply didn't know themselves... Anyways I still love them and their markings and laid back personas so no biggy. I did just start a thread asking on genetics using these two as an example so if any of you have an input it would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

Finally got an ID on the bigger fella, Jools from Planet Catfish has ID'd it as L448 if anyone was interested to know :)

i looked at L-Welse.com , The larger one is more than likely just a nice L002, L448 is just another number for L104 Panaquolos maccus, L-Welse.com is far better than Planet Catfish for pleco ID and or a L number catalog