mbunamad

Hot Topic Friday 04-12-2015 Would you care if QLDAF didn't exist?

If your answer is "yes" why?

If your answer is "no" why not?

I know it's not a big deal question, but just wondering why the forum has gone quiet.

Of the more than 16000 members how many will respond?

Will the members who only use the trading sections answer? I would say "no" because they wouldn't read this.

Don't know if I would care but I would notice it missing, i like the idea of having a community of like minded people to talk to.

There has been plenty of debates on here over the years and not too many get out of hand and most people on here respect others opinions.

When you consider that all topics from fish keeping to politics, religion and most things in between have been discussed most people still get along, there's not many places that allow such a diverse range of topics.

Ok after rereading that maybe I would care lol

I have said before that there should be a cull of the member list, there is no chance that 16000 people still frequent the forum.

Maybe if someone hasn't logged on for a period of time for example 12 months then the account gets deleted.

I've been a member on other forums that if you don't post for 6 months you get sent an email asking you to contribute or membership will be cancelled.

After the email you still have a few months to act before the system deletes the account.

I can already hear people saying mods and admin don't have time for this but it is an automated system so once installed it needs no extra input.

Cheers mick

I would miss it

I have only been a member for a short time and have lernt a lot from members past and present. I must have trolled throught the vast majority of threads by now.

And i have become a much better fish keeper for it.

My eyes have been opend to a new world of fish outside of the common lfs variety.

Met some great people and brought some great fish

Cheers Russ

I would miss it as it provides me entertainment as well as information and there's many great people on here both entertaining and informative. But if it didn't exist I'm sure I'd find another way to amuse myself.

plus it's Thursday not Friday

I get entertainment sitting here reading some of the crap that [MENTION=15341]Nana man[/MENTION], [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION], cam07 come up with, plus I've learnt a bit here as well.

I would miss it

I have only been a member for a short time and have lernt a lot from members past and present. I must have trolled throught the vast majority of threads by now.

And i have become a much better fish keeper for it.

My eyes have been opend to a new world of fish outside of the common lfs variety.

Met some great people and brought some great fish

Cheers Russ

Yep, that about sums it up for me too.

i'd care if it wasn't here any more, i'd be out of a job,

ohhh wait, i'm not paid,

ok then i don't care,

seriously i would miss it, i've met some awesome people because of the forum, russ and nigel being just 2, but also some fellow mods/admin now and before,

and a lot of members who i call friends,

ohh and [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION], i'd have never got to meet you,

i must admit there are a few members i wish i hadn't met, but the good ones out way the bad ones

but in saying that, if it never existed i wouldn't miss something that was never here

I miss every forum I have been a part of when it turns up it toes.... and I have seen many do just that.

Has never stopped me trying to put some love into them. I suspect its that old teacher is like a candle thing.... but then I do have a habit of trying to find an elegant analogy for things.

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same thing... over and over again expecting... things to change... That. Is. Crazy.

qldcichlidstats_zpsmmhwecaa.jpg

i think its a great little world we have going here..great source of info..well set up site..if im haveing a not so good fish time..its good to get some suggestions..how why when which to fix..ect..

dont care how long you all have been keeping fish for ..we all keep learining every day...if it wasnt a helpful site ..i woodnt be hear cheers

I left the forum for a couple of years because i got forced out of the hobby so..... i was out of the hobby.

When i was ready to get back into it qldaf was still here.

I dont think i was missed and ultimately i didnt think alot about it. I guess any good forum is only as good as what people put into it.

If a forumer leaves....more replace them. But do you end up with a pine forest......when you loose the old wood ?

If your answer is "yes" why?

If your answer is "no" why not?

I know it's not a big deal question, but just wondering why the forum has gone quiet.

Of the more than 16000 members how many will respond?

Will the members who only use the trading sections answer? I would say "no" because they wouldn't read this.

16,000 members? Really! ? Before when the members list was public, I did a sort on members who had posted more than 5 posts within the last 12 months. I got around 850 members in total and less than 400 had posted more than 50 posts so the number of active contributing members is quite small. Many of those are almost certainly on other online fish forums as well.

I often wonder if removing the trader section altogether would improve the discussion activity. Better to have 500 active members than 16,000 inactive ones. Or if charging a subscription to access the trader in hopes of improving the caliber of sales/fish quality.

I left the forum for a couple of years because i got forced out of the hobby so..... i was out of the hobby.

When i was ready to get back into it qldaf was still here.

I dont think i was missed and ultimately i didnt think alot about it. I guess any good forum is only as good as what people put into it.

If a forumer leaves....more replace them. But do you end up with a pine forest......when you loose the old wood ?

For what its worth, you were missed.

By me at the very least. Just like I miss others, like that dag wrk21. I mean where the heck is he? And washdoc, I mean get back online ya old growth diggers.

All jokes aside I would miss this, even though I haven't been here long, most people are easy to get a long with and accept my out there f@#$ed up sense of humour, always good to have a chat about fish and joke with [MENTION=15341]Nana man[/MENTION], [MENTION=11836]Cam07[/MENTION], [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION], [MENTION=3772]DeBree420[/MENTION], [MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION], [MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION], [MENTION=11290]billfish[/MENTION], [MENTION=13611]Heintz.G[/MENTION], but besides the jokes and laughs I've learnt a bit from members like [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION], [MENTION=4136]rainbowrunner[/MENTION], mainly about native fish and plants, so this forum is my 'Go To' place for questions and information on native fish, shrimp, plants, even though my tank is no where near as interesting or scaped look wise as other members' tanks on here, this time around I'm more interested in the fish and shrimp side of things, rather than the scaping side of tanks.

Hi everyone, I would miss it. I have got to know some very good breeders and hobbiests here. I have also dealt with some very good suppliers that I have learned of on here.

hang in there qldaf.

Honestly - No - wouldn't care. Something to do with the hierarchy. Yes met good people but that survives outside of QLDAF. As ex-section advisor/mod Cam famously says "It's not real people.." [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION] what do you the think the result of this post will be?

What do you the think the result of this post will be?

Its quite obviously going to get totally derailed and instead become a thread about how good the quality of cichlids from Cichlids Australia is.

Spoiler. Its very very good.

The guy is an artist.

[MENTION=2383]ageofaquariums[/MENTION] - Josh, Donny and team that was one result I did not foresee lol.

Got to say although off topic - I'm really glad you guys have taken the reins and I wish you all the best with everything.

Cheers

gimme a break. I only found out about this forum 12 hours ago. in my experience they are what you make them. If you dont take stuff too seriously and like to have a bit of a laugh when appropriate they can actually be the highlight of your day. :)

Honestly - No - wouldn't care. Something to do with the hierarchy. Yes met good people but that survives outside of QLDAF. As ex-section advisor/mod Cam famously says "It's not real people.." [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION] what do you the think the result of this post will be?

[MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION]fishdiseaseexpert Hopefully Mat it will stay. I think admin on here are fairly lenient letting us post controversial things.

I for one haven't had an infraction served!

YET!!