grubby

You gotta love Rainbow fish for their hardiness.

Last week, I was making a water garden out of a glazed chinese garden post at my folks place. Filled it with tap water and neutralised it. I grabbed some duck weed and a small amount of java moss out of my Boesmani pond to act as a bacterial seeder to get the pot established. Today I checked on the pot and was very pleased to find that it was full of dozens of Boesmani Fry. They had clearly come in as eggs on the moss and survived the new water. Guess I won't be putting Bribe Island pacific Blue Eyes in there anytime soon.

Hey there Grubby, never throw plant away if it has been in adult Rainbow tanks, you never know what's likely to be in it, nice surprise though!!!! If you like i have a recipe here for seeding a pond to create an endless supply of Micro foods for fry and juvenile fish. You would be surprised how quick the growth is when they have endless foods at their disposal. This was developed by Rob Wager and Steve Brooks when they both worked for the DPI fisheries.

Hey there Grubby, never throw plant away if it has been in adult Rainbow tanks, you never know what's likely to be in it, nice surprise though!!!! If you like i have a recipe here for seeding a pond to create an endless supply of Micro foods for fry and juvenile fish. You would be surprised how quick the growth is when they have endless foods at their disposal. This was developed by Rob Wager and Steve Brooks when they both worked for the DPI fisheries.

Yes please. That would be awesome. By the way the Gertrudae are yet to spawn. I have bought some more from Pet City to bolster the numbers, they had Aquagreen ones so its all good.

Last week, I was making a water garden out of a glazed chinese garden post at my folks place. Filled it with tap water and neutralised it. I grabbed some duck weed and a small amount of java moss out of my Boesmani pond to act as a bacterial seeder to get the pot established. Today I checked on the pot and was very pleased to find that it was full of dozens of Boesmani Fry. They had clearly come in as eggs on the moss and survived the new water. Guess I won't be putting Bribe Island pacific Blue Eyes in there anytime soon.

I had a similar happening.

I have bought/been given Java Moss, Java Fern, and other plants from various sources over the last few weeks and put some in a "holding" tank.

Yesterday I stripped the tank of all plants and bugger me there were 7 tiny silver fish in there.

Not being a native nut I don't have a clue what they are but are now swimming with some tropical in another tank.

Nature has survivors no matter what!

It does make one wonder why rainbow fish are so expensive in australia. I was in a retail aquarium store in Tokyo last month and noticed 4cm praecox were AUD $2.85 each. Imported from Singapore I was told. Tokyo being one of the most expensive cities in the world to live.

In Brisbane, crimson spot rainbows retail for about $8.00 .

Why ???

hey grubby this has happened to me too with rhads, setting up new pond, tap water and plants one day fry a week later,

I would say the eggs can handle changes better than the fry.

personal opinion - but

I think the new water with little bacteria and fungi , along with a bit of chlorine may prevent some of the eggs going fungused

post it up

OK here goes, FERTILIZATION SCHEDULE FOR PLANKTON CULTURE.

Day 1 Fill pond and add Inorganic Fertilizer (Urea @ 1 gm per 1000 lt + Superphosphate @ 1gm per 1000 lt) Leave for 48hrs.

Day 3 Add organic fertilizer 1gm per 20lt of water (Horse or cow dung)

Day 12 Inorganic fert as above.

Day 14 start harvesting or stock pond with fish.

Day 17 Organic fert gm per 160lt.

Day 22 Inorganic fert as above.

Day 24 Organic fert 1gm per 160lt.

Day 27 Organic fert 1gm per 160lt.

Day 31 Organic fert 1gm per 160lt.

Day35 Harvest fish and/or restart culture.

This is not a strict schedule and may need to be modified depending on the following factors -:

The inorganic ferts provides food for the aquatic animals by encouraging algal growth. Try to maintain the algae growth . at a density where your hand disappears . around 30-35cm. If your hand disappears at a shallower depth you may not need the later applications. To much inorganic ferts will encourage filamentous algae growth. Later applications may not be necessary depending on algae density,if low oxygen levels are suspected leave out applications of organic fertilizer during later stages

Gotta love natives, some of the most interesting fish (behaviourally and physically) in the hobby I think. The prices down here for rainbows is ridiculous, $16 for a Fluvi that you could catch less than an hour away.