DeBree420

Making money from fish

Sooooooo true !! , been there myself, tried doing it for money, not worth it, now doing it for fun and loving it! DAM YOU EVIL,EVIL MONEY , you lured me in and seduced me with your seductive ways, caressing me , stroking me, all the whispers and promises you made to me, you told me you loved me, LIES , LIES the whole thing was lies

Yes quite often we see noobs join this forum with $$ signs in their eyes asking "which fish are most popular/easy to sell blah blah."

They want 6000 tanks 2500 adult fish and bang here we go!

Not long after "closing down fish room sale, all fish/tanks/dry goods to go. No reasonable offers refused"

He came back to earth with a thud!

We all get excited when we start a new hobby and want every fish in the LFS. Then we get over that initial excitement and start to think more sanely.

Edited by mbunamad
just a weeeee lil stuff up

Some spp. Would be and exception to the rule. If i had say 1000 azuls... or temensis..... or well there are quite a few money makers out there...... just the experience in the hobby that lets us down.

Some cashed up folks end up with beautiful fish hoping they breed....... some folks have the knowledge to get them to breed.

Its never going to be a millionaire field..... but making money out of fish can be done.........

Ok..... so i breed say...... gold saum rivs. 1m 3 female.

I produce 1200 sellable fry in 4 months @ 4cm

I sell 1000 to the lfs including interstate @ 2 bux each and 200 privately for an average of 4 bux allowing for multiple purchase discount.

They sell for between 10 and 15 bux in the lfs.

It really comes down to 2 things...... time.....and knowledge.

Its cost me 600 to raise 1200 fish and i have made 2800.

And this is a staple aquarium store fish that sells

Jmho.....

Edited by tuffy_rana

Most of the people that make money from fish breed feeders, guppies and staple lfs fish.

There is also money to be made breeding marine fish but the challenge is alot greater.

There is a few professional L number breeders that do alright but selling to a smaller market.

Cheers mick

Like the guy in the video said, after all his costs were removed, he made in pocket about $8k, but dividing that up by the amount of hours he worked (not including waiting times and advertising) it worked out to about $10 an hour. People tend to not factor in their own time.

In the end,even though some people do actually turn a profit, the main motivator is the love for the hobby.

Like the guy in the video said, after all his costs were removed, he made in pocket about $8k, but dividing that up by the amount of hours he worked (not including waiting times and advertising) it worked out to about $10 an hour. People tend to not factor in their own time.

In the end,even though some people do actually turn a profit, the main motivator is the love for the hobby.

Couldn't agree more. I only became a breeder for the challenge and to keep breeds in the hobby that were becoming less common.

The hobby is and always will be about display tanks..... but someone has to supply the stock..... and its not done....at a loss ☺

Couldn't agree more. I only became a breeder for the challenge and to keep breeds in the hobby that were becoming less common.

The hobby is and always will be about display tanks..... but someone has to supply the stock..... and its not done....at a loss ☺

Actually sometimes it is done at a loss, just most people don't do the math

Ok..... so i breed say...... gold saum rivs. 1m 3 female.

I produce 1200 sellable fry in 4 months @ 4cm

I sell 1000 to the lfs including interstate @ 2 bux each and 200 privately for an average of 4 bux allowing for multiple purchase discount.

They sell for between 10 and 15 bux in the lfs.

It really comes down to 2 things...... time.....and knowledge.

Its cost me 600 to raise 1200 fish and i have made 2800.

And this is a staple aquarium store fish that sells

Jmho.....

What of electricity costs, water costs, maintenance costs etc?

I am not interested in making money, in my opinion if you want to make money it is no longer a hobby. What about paying tax on your profits, I do not think one can say anything about multinationals not paying tax if they are not paying tax for their hobby income.

I am not interested in making money, in my opinion if you want to make money it is no longer a hobby. What about paying tax on your profits, I do not think one can say anything about multinationals not paying tax if they are not paying tax for their hobby income.

Lol...... read up on hobby income. You may be surprised what you can make......if its not your primary income.

riddle me this..... why would i do the work.....without the reward. Im not a real big fan of work..... so if i get outta bed..... im getting paid.

All costs associated are in the costs stated ☺

You have to remember one thing i guess. If its a declared and abn run business from home you get alot of benifits. Half the rent....phone etc. All food electricity and water are tax deductible. Loss off stock through mismanagement and disease.

Im happy with the 20 bux i make...... after all the time invested

riddle me this..... why would i do the work.....without the reward. Im not a real big fan of work..... so if i get outta bed..... im getting paid.

some of us do it for the love, and to encourage new hobyists, i could have made much more money off fish and birds but i often give stuff away to new hobyists, maybe that person is the one who will make a massive change for the better in the hobby. I'm not in it for the money.

I would be winning if i broke even for once. I mostly breed shrimp which are used to feed the fish i enjoy keeping.

The quality of shrimp is going downhill fast, i have quality lines but if i sold them at the market price I would lose money and still have to buy food for the fish, i am planning to breed a few thousand bn again next year even at $1 each they will cover costs. That's what I used to do but haven't for a couple of years

Cheers mick

some of us do it for the love, and to encourage new hobyists, i could have made much more money off fish and birds but i often give stuff away to new hobyists, maybe that person is the one who will make a massive change for the better in the hobby. I'm not in it for the money.

Neither am i. I like keeping fish. Its a pastime.

i have a job....... i dont need 2

I like your ethos of giving..... its really admirable

Lol...... read up on hobby income. You may be surprised what you can make......if its not your primary income.

riddle me this..... why would i do the work.....without the reward. Im not a real big fan of work..... so if i get outta bed.....m getting paid.

I am not motivated by money, plus I hate dealing with so many Clownsville people, especially the local bogans, plus the fish they want are not what I would keep. To be honest, and I am not breeding atm, it would be more trouble for the money I would get back. Hey, but to each their own, it may work out in the city, I have given fry to a local shop but he gives store credit.

Last lot of fry were fed to the birds. :-)

I do want to setup a small fish room and am currently making plans right now, the fish though will not really be sold, local birds will be fed quite well! haha, more just for me and I will give a lot away. There is [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] up in Mackay but he ships to make money, not sure if it is a side thing for the lad or his primary business, good kid though.

Edited by Wogboy