shrimpo247

Very high water Temps for Africans

Above is correct will lots of air I've had tanks hit 32.5. Not sure how high is max be for deaths. If you only have one or a couple small tanks, freezing 3l milk/water bottles overnight can help too.

Angle the spray bar of the filter to the surface, it will help to cool the water and add oxygen into the tank like DeBree said. If you have a hood on the tank open that as well and you can use a fan to blow air across the surface of the tank.

It's the water movement on the surface of the main tank that provides the oxygen, if you have that then all is good in that department. Try a fan blowing over the top of the tank, it will drop the temp by a couple of degrees.

It's the water movement on the surface of the main tank that provides the oxygen, if you have that then all is good in that department. Try a fan blowing over the top of the tank, it will drop the temp by a couple of degrees.

anywhere the water is touching air, oxygenation will be occurring, water movement (ripples)creates more surface area = more air touching water

have a sump 1/8th size of 3 foot tank which trickles water over 400mm of dead coral substate, will that trickle feature provide oxygen?

yes it will

Edited by DeBree420

i installed a 150mm computer case fan on top of tank yesty. room temp today when i got home is 32 degrees and tank temp is 27.7 degrees. im blown away. my other shrimp tank is sitting on 31 degrees without a surface fan and that what my 3 footer would be on too.

was thinking of a chiller but not now :)

I would not stress too much, I have not lost a Malawi up here in Clownsville and I do not do too much about the heat, that was until recently. I did have a tank in my garage recently which gets buckoo-daniel hot, maybe 40+ degrees and two Placidochromis Jalo's developed bloat and died.

Not sure if Jalos like the heat less, the tank was in the garage for longer than expected, was only supposed to be a few days but due to circumstance it was 3.5 weeks.

Edited by Wogboy