Am setting up a tank and have ph levels of 7 have no substrate so far. What dose everybody us to get the ph and kh levels up. Am wanting to make a display tank but don't want to put fish in until levels are rite

Are the seachem and Aqua Pic products any good

thanks in advance

What fish species do you want to put in the display tank? Not all fish require a high pH.

To expand on what Lofties said. White crushed coral substrate will help raise the pH.

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Pisces_Coral_Sand_Micro_10kg_p/coral002.htm

White silicon based sand sands, such as play pit sand or pool filter sand are neutral and should not raise the pH.

For substrate I would recommend crush coral because it help maintain the pH at a High. I have kept frontosas with it and and they loved it allowed them to do digging and wat not. A buffer will just help keep the pH even higher but I found the crushed coral was all I needed, but anyways up to u.

Hoped this helped

[MENTION=17035]Tucker88[/MENTION]

I know very little about African rift lake cichlids. I know a little general information, such as research the species you wish to keep together as they are not all compatible from both an aggression point of view and diet requirements. So stocking ratio's come in to play, both intraspecies (i.e. number males to females) and interspecies, some do better in large numbers, others are a little more loner types. Some are vegetarians and will develop bloat if their diet is to high in protein, etc.

Can't help you with raising pH or maintaining a higher pH. I'd start with a crushed coral substrate, and do regular reading while you cycle the tank. Make sure you have it stable once the cycle has finished, then do a 40% water change and see how the water change affects the pH.