Farmboy99

Growing vegie seedlings as fish food.

I planted a row of bok choy seedlings in the hope that algae eating and vegetarian fish will eat that rather than munch on plants that I paid big bucks for. Tomorrow I will probably plant iceberg lettuce which is now around the same height and maybe spinach along with a few brassicas that never seem to do that well outdoors in the Queensland summer. You have to excuse me if this seems crazy but I've not got much experience keeping fish seriously. Does anyone else feed vegetarian fish like this and if so do the fish get enough nutrients. For me it's more important that they are happy and get something to nibble on rather than purchased plants.

To kill two bird with one stone, I never seem to have great joy with some purchased plants and feel that many shops sell bog plants that look attractive but really shouldn't be grown submerged for any amount of time. am I doing it wrong or is this not just my theory but a fact.

Thanks

I grow zucchini also - we always have a zuc glut over summer so its good to have the fish chipping away.... of course you only have to forget to pick one and you end up with a massive beast of a zucchini that will single handedly feed the entire fishroom for months. I still have some in the freezer from last year! My staple is mulberry leaves from the tree by the fishroom - dried and then rehydrated in the tank as needed throughout the year. bristlesnose, farlowella and shrimp are the main consumers.