PlecFan

Advice on resealing

Well the hubby finally finished the 2 tier stand for the 4fters. Spent the day going about getting everything set up and transferred fish...10mins later...drip...drip...drip.... :faint:

So ive just finished moving everyone back out...emptying all my hard work and found the culprit was a small give in the base silicone...

we have never re sealed a tank but have a basic idea ...would love some advice if anyone can help?

The cuplrit is the top tank

cheers

post-17069-14711634684451_thumb.jpg

Whenever I buy a secondhand tank or if I drain a tank that I've had running I give it what I call the fingernail test. That is if I can get my nail under the edge of any part of the silicone it's starting to fail and I'd rather reseal it than just fill it up with water and hope for the best. This doesn't help you this time but maybe helpful to you and others down the tracks.

For tips on silicone just go to YouTube !

FJ

Cheers Fj. I didn't even think about checking the seals as we have had this tank running for ages without the slightest hiccup... The drain and refill obviously was the last straw for it tho. Wasn't a major leak and won't be a big deal to fix but gee I felt bad for the fronts and the gold spots. They had a stressful day being pulled out, stuffed in an esky for about 2 hours, fished out, plopped back in their home, fished out and moved to the bottom tank which is divided so too small for them but short of making friends with our grumpy breeding saulosi I had no real choice... It will only be a few days I guess

Did you want to strip and rebuild the tank or just re seal?

If just a reseal remove all the silicone on the surface of the glass, do not remove any between the panels. Note if you can see air bubbles or the silicone is hard then you may be better of rebuilding the tank.

There are a lot of silicone out there. Usind a neutral cure woth no mold inhibitors clear silicone, if it says aquarium safe thats a plus. I personally use dow 999a.

So drain the tank remove all surface silicone dry, wipe down with asatone on a rag only a damp rag not a wet one as to much could damage the silicone between panels. Sharp razor blades are a must and remove all silicone residue. The area must be dry and oil dirt free (asatone) for the new silicone to work. As for application techniques youtube has better videos to help that what i could type.

Good luck and remember to do a test fill out side when finished.

If the silicone is starting to fail, I would do a total strip, not just plug the hole. By this I mean cutting all the whole tank apart, removing all traces of old silicone and re-building from scratch.

A lot of people don't realise silicon doesn't work like glue in the traditional sense. It holds things together by surface tension - like water between 2 sheets of glass creates a bond or how 2 phone books with interweaved pages can't be pulled apart by tractors.

So old silicon will creep (apart) and fail once it starts to let go. That's also why you need to make sure your glass is totally clean, free of dust and oil before you apply silicon. Also silicon doesn't bond with silicon once dry.

Thanks guys. Honestly I would prefer to pick up a new tank then completely redo this one from scratch. Never done it before and it's 10mm glass holding about 450ltrs....I'm not confident enough to do it myself and I think the cost of having it done professionally would be more then a new tank... Hubby has removed the old surface silicone and is going to attempt to re seal it....I guess we will know if you see me start a Wtb thread for a four footer in the next few days ;)

Thanks guys. Honestly I would prefer to pick up a new tank then completely redo this one from scratch. Never done it before and it's 10mm glass holding about 450ltrs....I'm not confident enough to do it myself and I think the cost of having it done professionally would be more then a new tank... Hubby has removed the old surface silicone and is going to attempt to re seal it....I guess we will know if you see me start a Wtb thread for a four footer in the next few days ;)

Yep, in my experience its just not worth it. Especially for smaller tanks.

Ok if your a guru and have all the stuff laying around ..... most peeps don't.

A " reseal " is totally different to strip and re-assemble .... generally, by the time they start leaking through the joins they need the latter.

Cheers

Brendan