PlecFan

Pisces Establish Smell

I usually use Stability but the lfs was out of all stability so I grabbed a bottle of Pisces Establish. Got home and opened the bottle and the smell is unlike anything I have ever smelt! It is DISGUSTING! Just wondered if anyone has used it and has any feedback. The smell is so bad It put me off using it....anyone have any thoughts? It's also a thick oily yellow liquid very different in smell and consistent to anything I've ever used??

Hey mate,

I have been trialling ENRICH the second day it came out on my planted rainbow tank, i have before and after pictures which i'll upload when im at home.

I have had a few issues with the packaging and the product, firstly it doesn't tell you active ingredients or what's in the bottle... we are just trusting the brand, they also don't say when to dose your aquarium. I emailed them direct with a few questions about this and they said....

"It's a blend that we have great success with our plants. Due to our great success with this formula, we have decided to keep it close to our chest.

I can let you know that it is a complete plant fertiliser, meaning you do not require other supplements. With a balance of lighting, healthy water parameters and ENRICH, your aquarium plants will thrive."

It's also meant to be dosed after every water change if you were wondering.

So who knows whats in it? Or what that smell is? What if your dosing for something else, then you dose with ENRICH and you double dose your tank which could lead to fish deaths?

I dosed 35ml every waterchange which was roughly every 1.5-2 weeks until the bottle was gone, without dosing with anything else, coupled with 2x t5 lights, moderate to heavy feeding, and only gravel syphoning the top layer of gravel (to preserve the bacteria under the roots).

My plants thrived for maybe the first 2 weeks, then my chain swords leaves started to yellow from the inside, i had to take 3 plants out because they were decaying in front of me, my larger amazon 20cm swords have holes all through them and yellowing. The only plants that seem fine with it are my crypts and Val which i've seen slight increased growth.

This was an established aquarium before i started dosing and was quite happy with my plants, but i thought i'd trial this to see how it goes.

I sound pretty bias in this post, personally i like Pisces as a brand, quite happy with most of their products and plants.

But if you're gonna get into dry goods, meds, ferts n the like, then you really do need to be specific in what your selling and telling your retailers and customers IMO.

I will also say im no expert :P

Cam

Edited by Sephiroth

Thanks for the info on Enrich Iv seen that one as well but this one is called Establish and is a bio start up bacteria product. Similar in use from what I can gather to Stability by providing nitrifying bacteria to new tanks and after water changes... This is a picture of its box below...

Iv just emailed them as well to enquire about the smell so will post their reply once received.

post-17069-14711634686759_thumb.jpg

Well damn, just re-read your op and it was about ESTABLISH not ENRICH :behindsofa::behindsofa: they both start with E lol, i was too busy typing awayyy.

Anyhow there's some info on the enrich formula for whoever needs it i guess.

Soz mate :noidea:

Cam

Lol no problem :) good info on Enrich all the same! Cheers

I have just received this reply from Pisces:

"Hi Kylie,

Thanks for your enquiry.

The smell can be attributed to the natural metabolic functions of the bacteria contained within.

The bacteria is live and because of this will produce by-products that can smell a bit off.

It is totally normal and actually a good sign that the product is still in date. If there was no smell I would be worried.

I hope this has helped, any further questions please don’t hesitate to email or call.

Thank you"

Doesn't really offer any info much like your response though....

I'm surprised I haven't heard that anyone can vouch either way for the product.... I know it's new....I also know it STINKS!! I'm not up on chemistry to know if what the reply I received would be accurate or not....does stinky thick product equivalate lots of live bacteria?? My next choice was API... But had been picking the Pisces products up and putting them down every week untill today I bit the bullet....just don't want the bullet to bite me back!!

I haven't used the product but I have a question.

Why do you feel that you need to use products like this after a waterchange?

If you have good bio filtration there is no need for these products.

If you don't have trouble with ammonia or nitrite then don't add anything, your tank should have enough good bacteria to handle the bioload of the fish.

The bacteria you're adding will probably be dieing which creates issues with water quality.

Cheers mick

I haven't used the product but I have a question.

Why do you feel that you need to use products like this after a waterchange?

If you have good bio filtration there is no need for these products.

If you don't have trouble with ammonia or nitrite then don't add anything, your tank should have enough good bacteria to handle the bioload of the fish.

The bacteria you're adding will probably be dieing which creates issues with water quality.

Cheers mick

I had a leak spring from my frontosa tank and had to strip it dry and reseal it. Iv always used stability for new tanks and as the fronts tank will essentially be "new" by the time it comes around to setting it up again. I've also got an nitrate spike going on in the L shaped tank. I use matrix in all the canisters as well. I am also setting up a few more 2foot tanks next week and have only last week done a complete clean on all my tanks and kinda flogged all the seeded media I could already for the L shape tank.

Cool that's understandable then.

How long since you clean the cannister and gravel vac the L shape?

Nitrates could be caused by blocked media or bacteria in the gravel.

It used to be called old tank syndrome but I don't know what the cool kids call it these days lol.

Cheers mick

Cool that's understandable then.

How long since you clean the cannister and gravel vac the L shape?

Nitrates could be caused by blocked media or bacteria in the gravel.

It used to be called old tank syndrome but I don't know what the cool kids call it these days lol.

Cheers mick

The L tank was only set up about 2 weeks ago and is still cycling (hence nitrate spike) so the canister hasn't been touched and I used up the seeded media from the fronts canister to establish the canister on the L tank and have vacuumed the gravel every few days taking about 10% water change in the process each time to limit load on the still establishing bio filter. Now I'm going to have to re establish the fronts tank due to the leak which I'll use media from the Malawi tank/canister to do...lol as you can see I'm playing a bit of a juggling game and the leak on the fonts tank really threw a spanner in the works! I know it's not ideal to rely on bio starters to do this but without access to more good filter media and with my fronts squished into a divided 4ft tank I'm sort of in a pinch for space, time and available established media (shaking fist at leaking front tank grrrr)