ATurner

Best way to get rid of algae

Hey everyone,

I have had a massive algae outbreak recently and it now covers all 4 sides of my tank. I have cleaned the filter and reduced the hours my lights are on how ever its still going strong. What would be the best way to get rid of the algae apart from the obvious of cleaning it off. I was thinking a large water change as well as scrubbing the glass clean or would that be a bad idea for the health of the tank. I have the tank as a feature point in the room so want it looking crystal clean.

Cheers adam

What lights ?

Depth of water ?

Size of tank ?

Plants ?

Substrate ?

number and type of fish ?

Filtration type and size ?

All of these can affect algae growth as can feeding , ambient light , and direct sunlight .

It is a matter of sorting which one or combination is causing the problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone sorry for not getting back sooner had quite a busy weekend. I did a 40% water change over the weekend and scrubbed off as much algae as I possibly could still a few spots that were stubborn. My friend is converting his tank so I got some elodea and will be putting that in the tank today.

Tank details at time of original post:

4x2x2

15-20 africans not sure on exact number largest is 10cm Frontosa

No plants

Black sand about 3cm deep for substrate

Using a Aqua One Nautilus 1400 as my filter looking at upgrading when money permits

4ft LED light basic white/blue on for 10-12hrs depending on the day

Agree with others about light duration. Maybe put them on a timer for a few hours in the morning and the evening when you are home (if you work that is). And can manually put them on during the weekend.

If you have a sump or somewhere you can chuck a few pothos plants (common house terrestrial house plant) with the stems in water, but leaves out of water they can do a good job of sucking up nitrates.

Best way to keep algae to a minimum is to keep parameters in check. (mainly nitrates)

Also sorry to hijack this thread a little I get a bit of algae on my tank glass as well, water parameters are pretty much perfect 24/7 due to my auto water changer, and lights are on timers. The tank can catch a bit of sunlight so only a few spots of stubborn algae appear. I have a bog standard magnetic glass cleaner which does struggle with the stubborn algae spots. Has anyone tried them super expensive algae magnetic cleaners? such as the 'Algae Free Great White Cleaner'?? for $160 it would want to work wonders. I think the normal pet store ones struggle on my thick glass.

Look into the dupla algae magnet, it has a built in blade and just destroys green spot algae.

The appearance of green spot means a nutrient deficiency, generally phosphates. This is both a good thing and bad thing.

I dont really like the idea of a blade on a magnet sitting in the tank. I know they designed not to scratch the glass, but rather not risk it.

There is not a lot of algae in my tank and my scrubber gets rid of 95% of it. I am lazy so wondering if the expensive scrubbers are much better, as in one wipe and gone.

I get a bit of algae on my tank glass as well, water parameters are pretty much perfect 24/7 due to my auto water changer, and lights are on timers. The tank can catch a bit of sunlight so only a few spots of stubborn algae appear. I have a bog standard magnetic glass cleaner which does struggle with the stubborn algae spots. Has anyone tried them super expensive algae magnetic cleaners? such as the 'Algae Free Great White Cleaner'?? for $160 it would want to work wonders. I think the normal pet store ones struggle on my thick glass.

The rare earth type magnets are extremely strong. I have one on a 19mm thick acrylic tank which cleans well. It's almost impossible for me to separate if the magnets come together without anything between (and fairly dangerous to fingers).

Whatever magnet you use, make sure it is a floating one as you don't want any substrate caught. If you keep a school of prochilodus - you might not have to do any scrubbing at all. They are more precise than plecostomus.

I had exactly the same fear, but after one use I am converted :D

Ever in store, lemme give you a demo.

Might come in and check them out when I get a chance, not sure if i will be converted though, but will check out other algae magnets.

The rare earth type magnets are extremely strong. I have one on a 19mm thick acrylic tank which cleans well. It's almost impossible for me to separate if the magnets come together without anything between (and fairly dangerous to fingers).

Whatever magnet you use, make sure it is a floating one as you don't want any substrate caught. If you keep a school of prochilodus - you might not have to do any scrubbing at all. They are more precise than plecostomus.

I agree, do want to get a flagtail, but I also might get another Lungfish when juvies are available again, and the flagtail will suck the slim coat off them, so not a good mix. (same with plecos)

I got a couple of kissing gouramis, and they do an alright job. They clean the drift wood pretty good but not as good on the glass.

i have started to use an old ID to scrap the algae from the glass, those magnetic ones are friggin useless.

i had DIY Co2 system and i have a fairly high wattage LED light system (which has probably made the algae worse), i have decided to totally dump the DIY co2 and go back to a low tech tank.

it has been 2 days now on lower light levels and shorter time period the lights are on, the algae on the glass hasnt grown back after i did a clean on the weekend but the BBA is still going strong :(

hopefully within a few weeks of the new light schedule the BBA will start to die and i can get on with buying a fair amount of anubias to re-scape the tank. if it works out i will never go back to a DIY co2 system again or any co2 for that matter, low tech just seems much easier to work with.