Jump to content
pony-tail

Rain water - from around brisbane . Looks toxic ?

Recommended Posts

During the last few weeks we put out some garbage buckets , under a point where our guttering lets water out , to catch rain water .

What we have caught is dirty brown water wit a disgusting oily sludge skin on top .( our roof is "Fibro" which I believe to be Asbestos )

Has anybody had experience with rainwater coming down of the roof appearing totally toxic ?

The stuff looks like toxic chemical waste - pretty sure I would need hazardous materials permit to dump it :puke:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live at Redcliffe - right near the waterfront - also right near Anzac ave ( the busiest road in the area ).

If you can imagine all the airborne dust & particulates from brake drums, exhausts, uncovered loads etc, all floating down & settling on your roof & in the gutters from the Anzac Ave traffic...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Asbestos roofs grow a lot of slimy crap on them, as well as breaking down themselves.

You could install a first flush system on a down pipe that you collect rain water from.

Side note, next time you get hail at your place, doesn't have to be much just enough to knock some of the slimy crap of and leave some cleaner light spots, you can claim it on most home insurance as storm damage, which normally means a new roof

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cant imagine the asbestos from the roof being the problem. I heard somewhere that the only way it can affect u is in the air as particles getting into your lungs through air intake? If it has remnants of the particles in the water it cant hurt you can it? Don't trust me on my word and please do correct me if im wrong. Its just what I was told.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cant imagine the asbestos from the roof being the problem. I heard somewhere that the only way it can affect u is in the air as particles getting into your lungs through air intake? If it has remnants of the particles in the water it cant hurt you can it? Don't trust me on my word and please do correct me if im wrong. Its just what I was told.

The usual procedure for moving/disposing of asbestos is to continuously hose it & keep wet to stop fibres from becoming airborne. That being said...I wouldn't be rushing out to gulp down a big glass of water I knew was full of asbestos fibres :beer:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cant imagine the asbestos from the roof being the problem. I heard somewhere that the only way it can affect u is in the air as particles getting into your lungs through air intake? If it has remnants of the particles in the water it cant hurt you can it? Don't trust me on my word and please do correct me if im wrong. Its just what I was told.

Good point Josh. Maybe we're all a bit paranoid about "asbestos".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cant imagine the asbestos from the roof being the problem. I heard somewhere that the only way it can affect u is in the air as particles getting into your lungs through air intake? If it has remnants of the particles in the water it cant hurt you can it? Don't trust me on my word and please do correct me if im wrong. Its just what I was told.

It can cause mesothelioma in the gastrointestinal system as well as.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...