hornet

Thinking of doing 1st marine tank, 19l nano

I have been racking my brain to work out what to get the mrs for chrissy, i was thinking of starting up my fluval spec v 19l tank again to grow mosses and some small FW fish but then i saw pics of fluval spec v's that had been converted to marine to nano reef tanks so i thought, while it may be a late present im sure the mrs would LOVE a nano reef in the bathroom. So now, here comes the questions.

Filtration, Im assuming the inbuilt pump and filtration isnt suitable for a reef tank, from some light research it seems live rock and sand is a big part of filtration on a marine tank. What do i do for filtration for such a small tank?

Lighting, the stock lights are fairly low on these, for a 19l what kind of lighting would i need?

Live stock, im planning on using some small corals, tube worms, christmas worms or something along those lines and if possibly some inverts and 2-3 small colorful fish, gobies, blennys or something like that.

This will be my first venture into marine so the more advice here the better

Its a good filter. I would fill with marine pure or dry coral rubble.

Unless you plan on putting a chiller on it, I would suggest only the hardiest of inverts. Discosoma would be my suggestion. They may even handle under the light.... maybe.

Fish are difficult.

Honestly some mollies would be my first suggestion until the tank is very stable. Give it 6 months and then perhaps add something more fancy.

A mini hermit, a brittlestar and a stomatela snail would be my suggested clean up crew.

Being in the bathroom is risky.

Easy to poison tank or temp shock it.

After posting I did think about the temp fluctuations of the bathroom so will aim for a better location.

Thanks for the advice, mrs did want a starfish of some sort and I do like bristle stars, also loves her crabs and i keep terrestrial snails so hoped for some marine ones too.

A little tank for the wife, that's nice.

Fish in a marine system can be hard for some, but doesn't have to be, due partly to live rock adding toxins to the water for a while as the life in and on it acclimatises.

Then inadequately types of positioned and matured bio media, where ever it may be in your water.

And of course water stability, the density of saltwater makes life hard for your tank life and a bind of anything just like sodium chloride is tough to maintain when things are not reasonably consistent.

To adjust the filter is easy to make it work great for marines complimented by some structural bio media in your tank like dry base rock that very quickly becomes live bio media, but temperature control and surface tension will be head aches for you as both will adversely affect the waters PH and with marines good PH is everything!

If done correctly, that sized tank could easily sustain 4 small fish species and multiple colourful and interesting inverts.