cichlidbro

2yr old tank leaks.. should I take it off my friend's hands?

Hey everyone,

Haven't posted in a long time.

Here's the scenario:

I had to help a friend with an "aquarium emergency" a coupl'a weeks back. The 120 gallon tank(less than 2 years old) had a minor leak but he was leaving on a trip that afternoon & needed help with a total tear down & evacuation of the problem tank. Most fish brought to LFS for $$.

I've been meaning to buy an aquarium for my basement but I have never resealed an aquarium before. I am an average DIYer and for the simple economics of it all I'm thinking of taking his aquarium & doing a reseal. Would this be a wise move? I'm in no rush to set it up so I'm thinkin' of giving it a go but the tank worries me!

The fact that it's such a young tank and for it to just start leaking out of the blue I'm a little worried it's not a silicone issue but maybe a glass issue?! (if that makes sense) Meaning.. maybe the glass is not cut correctly or doesn't line up right.

Why waste your time and money on something that's already cactus? Buy something good that's going to give you peace of mind, you'll enjoy the whole fish keeping thing then, cheers.

Cut the silicone with a razor blade and use a straight edge to see if any of the edges have a warp in them, if they are all straight then is is definitely the silicone and you can fix it for really cheap.

We've just had a minor leak on our frontosa tank. We stripped it, dried it and cut out the old silicone with a stanly blade. We used aquarium safe silicone to replace it think it cost around $6 from Bunnings, soapy water in a spray bottle, nail polish remover, a paddle pop stick and rag. We also didn't know if it was the seal or the glass but figured it didn't cost much in time and effort and next to nothing in materials to give it a go to try and save the tank....our seems to have been fixed simply by resealing the silicone. If it's not going to costs you anything why not give it a try?