Kalo1993

Kiddie pool fish pond

After reading some old threads on here and monsterfishkeepers about using them "kiddie pools" as indoor fish ponds id like to hear some thoughts on them or from people who have tried it as i seen some 1700gallon steel framed pools at kmart for $150 and wouldn't mind setting one up under the house.

After reading some old threads on here and monsterfishkeepers about using them "kiddie pools" as indoor fish ponds id like to hear some thoughts on them or from people who have tried it as i seen some 1700gallon steel framed pools at kmart for $150 and wouldn't mind setting one up under the house.

I used a driclad pool from masters. The material they use is very strong and from what I've seen, is thicker than most pond liners.

I wouldn't recommend resting heaters on the liner, I'd use something to secure it off the ground/side.

Speaking of heating, you'll definitely need a lid or else suffer the electric bill. Some pools have lids made specifically for them, others you may have to be creative. I used a tarp and rope to secure it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by lgw

I'm pretty interested in these "Kiddie" pool ponds myself. From what I've read the liner doesn't leach anything overly toxic into the water and the largest dilemma is evaporation and heating.

What do people make the lids out of for these pools? How do spiny fish (Catfish etc) go in these? Would hate to have 2000l of water flooding through the shed!

Cheers for the info lgw i'll check out them pools. I wont need heating luckily as it will be for natives. Also what would be better a rectangle or circle pool? is one stronger than the other?

Not sure strength wise sorry. Either one, with the steel frame I would imagine being quite strong. (Seeing as they're made for kids to jump in and out of)

I'm pretty interested in these "Kiddie" pool ponds myself. From what I've read the liner doesn't leach anything overly toxic into the water and the largest dilemma is evaporation and heating.

What do people make the lids out of for these pools? How do spiny fish (Catfish etc) go in these? Would hate to have 2000l of water flooding through the shed!

I used a tarp tied down with rope to the legs and fishing line across the pool to hold it up for the majority of the time, it worked well and held the heat in during winter.

I also used polycarbonate roof sheets for a little while before shutting down the pool. They were clear so I could still kinda see the fish which is good, still not sure how well they keep the heat in but it must be better than nothing.

Just make sure if its out side you pool fence it and make sure its up to regs we just had out pool inspection and they classed our pond as a pool I have it fenced anyway but one of the rails wasn't far enough apart to the other as per regs (26mm) I had to fix it b4 they would certify the swimming pool

Thanks all the pics and videos were very helpful. Do you think i could get away with not heating? the fish i plan on keeping in it are a longfin eel and leichardti, i know the eel does not need heating and leichardti live naturally in the area so im guessing they would be okay?

Good thread guys. I was thinking a big bad Cod and maybe a Tandanus while it lasts. Filtration I would use a 40 gallon drum if I were you as you get way more surface area and more efficient filtration I think.

With heating, I spose you'd be right as long as the temperature didn't drop below 20. Might pay to have a back up heater(s) set at 22 just in case. Shouldn't be active for much of the year if at all.

Thanks all the pics and videos were very helpful. Do you think i could get away with not heating? the fish i plan on keeping in it are a longfin eel and leichardti, i know the eel does not need heating and leichardti live naturally in the area so im guessing they would be okay?

The temperature in an aquarium/pool/pond will fluctuate a lot more than in nature. Bigger bodies of water (rivers etc.) will be much more stable.

In saying that, I don't really know what the highs and lows are in rocky during summer or winter. So I'm not much help there lol.

Some more pics...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70173[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70174[/ATTACH]

I would insulate that garage door with 30mm styrofoam if you want to cut your heating bill down. I 've done it, cost me about $150 in polystyrene, double sided tape and silicon. Now the garage is as warm as toast, it doesn't lose heat in winter and it doesn't heat up in summer. Bare panels pass a lot of heat through them, freezing in winter, boiling in summer. It passes on to the rest of your house too. Also batts in the garage roof will help loads too. My fish room/garage never drops below 24 degrees in the winter and never goes above 30 degrees in the summer. Very happy with my insulating project.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I would insulate that garage door with 30mm styrofoam if you want to cut your heating bill down. I 've done it, cost me about $150 in polystyrene, double sided tape and silicon. Now the garage is as warm as toast, it doesn't lose heat in winter and it doesn't heat up in summer. Bare panels pass a lot of heat through them, freezing in winter, boiling in summer. It passes on to the rest of your house too. Also batts in the garage roof will help loads too. My fish room/garage never drops below 24 degrees in the winter and never goes above 30 degrees in the summer. Very happy with my insulating project.

The roller door at the other side of the garage is always open, as the dogs live in the garage. I would be doing that for sure if it wasn't for the pooches.

I doubt you will find more information here than on MFK but I would recommend a circular pool if possible. Circular shape reduces tangential flow and provides the best structurally sound frame. (You can get a more reliable uniform frame for less cost). Circular shape also has no corners so timid fish can't get caught if they just keep swimming. If you have a smaller circular pool, aim your filters to swirl water radially and almost all the detritis will centrally collect for an easy siphon. If you have a larger circular pool (20,000+ L), it's harder to reach into the centre so place your pump there to pick up detritis and mechanically filter. Return the flow radially to create slow swirl. A constant current is quite natural for fish and excellent if you have migratory species.

Keep your return out of water (if noise isn't an issue) for best oxygenation and visually

]

Edited by aquaholic99

Water flows through the top of the bucket into sponge, then I had marine pure spheres for bio and a pump on the bottom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70172[/ATTACH]

I use something similar but have output (PVC) pipes come out the top of lid with an elbow. I have these just out of the water so I can see/hear almost immeadiately if they slow or stop.

Coming out the top makes for easier pump removal (in my case). Using 2 filters is good for redundancy & cleaning. I just use 6mm rounded gravel and 20L buckets to save money. No lid at all if the fish don't move substrate

Looks pretty good though.

That pool looks huge!! and damn i just bought a rectangle one yesterday lol its a Intex metal frame L300 W200 H75. I have heard Intex is a good brand so we will see how it goes... Also is it worth putting pond liner in for extra leak protection?

I use metal sided pools (older style) and steel framed pools (newer style) from 10,000 L up to 30,000L and found less holes with the flexible framed pool. Some of my fish are large and can ram the sides very powerfully. All my pools are kept in fish sheds or outside where leaks wouldn't be an issue. If you are worried about leaks, an extra liner is a good idea but slip 20mm polystyrene sheets between them so you have insulation and less chance of something going through both.

If appearance isn't a concern, you can chop the top off a rain water tank as these are very tough. You can also put a view panel into the smooth walled ones.

Edited by aquaholic99