Gday all!

Im currently planning a 6x2x2 Planted Discus Tank. I already have the tank, stand and hood. I will be going with a sump for filtration.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I know the bigger the sump, the better. But what would be an ideal size that isnt too costly to fill with media? I will be using as much bio filtration as possible with bakki rods, jap mat and possibly a planted refugium. Any tips,pros, cons or stories of experience greatly appreciated!

2. Lighting is my main question. Im looking at makemyled.com.au for the lights. I want to be able to grow carpeting plants such as Monte Carlo or some crypts but also grow red plants. I will be running Co2 on the system. Are these lights any good to penetrate 2ft deep (obvioulsly shorter with substrate)?

I will be using ADA Amazonia for substrate, with a layer of laterite on the bottom. I will be doing a dry start on the carpeting plants.

All comments, tips, pros/cons welcome.

Thanks All!

I used to run a sump on my 6x2x2 planted discus tank and I believe it's a waste of time. They noisy, no good for a CO2 system and I had lots of trouble keeping my pH on a normal level. A discus breeder told me i would be better of with a canister filter so I bought the AquaOne nautilus 2700 and run also I internal power head for increased water flow and CO2 induction. Water parameters have never been better before.

LED are definitely the way to go. I replaced one of my T5 with a BeamsWork 5ft LED and I love it.

Hope this helps.

I'm currently setting up a similar tank, with discus also, and I'm leaning towards ditching the sump that I had ready to go and replacing it with an fx6. From what I've heard from various stores and people with experience a canister is just a lot less hassle, no chance of it leaking or overflowing, in general a lot quieter and while you can't hide your heaters/air stones in a canister I think overall for me at least they seem a better way to go. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk