pony-tail

My first Kessil light

I just got my first Kessil light ( an A150 WE- Amazon Sun ).

Although this light is now obsolete I got it new at a pretty good price ( Thanks @The Tech Den )

For the size and wattage of the light it lights a 24x18x24 tank quite well .

At present I am just experimenting with it to see what it will and will not grow , and seeing how deep I can go and grow carpet plants .( got a new toy gotto play .)

Did not have enough money left for the flexible goose neck mount , so I had to get creative - I have it hanging from a plastic crate sitting on the coverglasses .

At this stage I don't think it will be the last Kessil I buy .

Edited by pony-tail

The Amazon Sun is discontinued !

You would be looking at a Tuna Sun .anyway - a pic

I love creative fish keepers. If the wallet is a bit thin there are ways to get around problems.

Well done Ian.

Edited by mbunamad
forgot a period.

I have just finished doing some serious research on what this little light can do .

It does a 60cm ( 2ft ) diameter ( about an 18 x18 square if you do not want black corners ) and an 18 inch depth to the top of the gravel ( substrate ).

Which means it would be pretty good on a 50cm cube but near perfect for a 18x18 x 20 high tall "not quite a cube .

The thing that interests me is that a pair would be near perfect on a 36 x 18 x 20 deep - the end result has the potential of being spectacular .

The Tuna Sun ( A160 ) would be better but I have this one now .

I now know that I need an A360 Tuna sun for my 2ft cube ( $$$$$$$ ) 2x Fluval LED or 1 x Kessil A360 ( $500 + ( Fluvals ) or $600 + for the Kessil with goose-neck .

Planted tanks are not a cheap hobby !

Add CO2 and an Eheim canister , a heater 5 bags of EcoComplete the tank , the stand , hard-scape , plants and livestock - looking at well over a grand .

I have a lot of the gear laying around from previous failed ( and successful ones I got bored with ) experiments ( back in the metal halide days ) I got a very bad power bill and shut it all down .

These days with current power costs you could buy a Roadworthy car for what the power bill with halides would be

Does it spread the light ok or do you get a spotlight effect? I thought of these along a 4ft tank (30 inches deep :( ) but wasn't sure if that would be a problem.

As you say an expensive hobby :). I was very close to getting a PAR meter before xmass. Had shipping sorted but never heard back after emailing several times to say I would buy.

It is the limitation of the spread that means you have corners not properly lit in a 2ft x2ft square - Raising the height increases the spread but drastically reduces the intensity.

That is why I need the A360 for a 2ft cube.

It is a good light but like everything has it's limitations - If you use it within those parameters it is excellent . basically that is 1 light per 18 inch cube of water .plus or minus a small amount .

The other thing is Kessil lights do not like cover glasses - It knock their output down more than any other light I have tried a lot of the lights reflect off the covers and shine on the ceiling - enough to cause sharply defined shadows of the crate , on the ceiling .

It is the limitation of the spread that means you have corners not properly lit in a 2ft x2ft square - Raising the height increases the spread but drastically reduces the intensity. That is why I need the A360 for a 2ft cube. It is a good light but like everything has it's limitations - If you use it within those parameters it is excellent . basically that is 1 light per 18 inch cube of water .plus or minus a small amount . The other thing is Kessil lights do not like cover glasses - It knock their output down more than any other light I have tried a lot of the lights reflect off the covers and shine on the ceiling - enough to cause sharply defined shadows of the crate ' date=' on the ceiling .[/quote']

Thanks for the reply.

I think that's an issue I have with the quad t5ho. Although not to the back of the ceiling.

Perspex covers plus sitting above the tank wouldn't surprise me if there was 20% loss. And then it starts getting through the water to really see the reds disappear.

The box LEDs I had sat directly on the tank cover so not so much reflected light. Not sure for cooling that did them much good.

One thing I did like was when one kessil goes your not up for replacing the whole lot like on a strip light.

I have , Thanks to shawry74 , a forum member , now got my second Amazon sun .

I have had it on the tank for an hour , and I have my pearling back along with full coverage of the tank floor .

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] said 2 kessils on a 24x18x24 was overkill , but far from it , I now have a lighting setup that works .

It does not go through a bulb a year , it does not draw 150 plus watts , and does not make my desk area so hot during the day , that I have to leave the room ( and I am very heat tolerant !)

Now all I have to do is build a mounting system that looks good , is adjustable , does not cost heaps and will not drop the lights into the tank .

Is there a 2ft crate somewhere ?

Seriously , off to Bunnings tomorrow for a look see !

That said.... theres nothing wrong with overkill. I am for example totally cool with the use of B52 to take care of pill boxes, or napalm for a sniper that 'may' be on that hill over there.

Also guilty of putting an XR30 radion on a half filled 2 foot......

My point is that it is not overkill !

Overkill would be a pair of 360WE Tuna suns -

I still prefer the results of a metal halide - just they are too much bother !

After a couple of weeks of dual Kessils All is well everything is growing even a bit of Black Beard Algae .

I finally figured out what I need by way of lights !

I need 450watt metal halides that only draw 25 watts at the mains,do not need bulb replacement, do not produce heat or noise , have built in timers and have dimmers , and I want them with 5 years warranty for under $200 each .

Not a lot to ask really.

I am about to embark on yet another experiment !

The 24x18x24 with the Kessils has now got a not quite identical twin , The Tanks are identical as is the ( 3 bags of ecocomplete ) substrate both have Eheim 2213 filters , but the lights are different . The one with the kessils has ------ Kessil Led lights the other one has 2 Fluval Aqualife and plant LED lights both to have Pressurised CO2 . So it is a fairly good Apples to apples comparison - in theory anyway .

I did not find a stand in time so the Fluval lit tank is beside the Kessil lit tank .

All good - not quite I have found MTS ( snails ) in my eco-complete - no Idea how they got in there but although unused it I have had it sitting around on the garage floor for almost 2 years ( bought it for a project that has yet to begin , as I had a heart attack , and it may not for same reason ) so I repurposed it .

Now I have to Kill the bloody snails - everybody loves MTS !

And of course a pic or 2

post-1094-14711635007458_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711635007611_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711635007777_thumb.jpg

Both tanks now are to be stripped and sterilized due to an infestation of Malaysian Trumpet snails - Due to the EcoComplete substrate I can not use Snail rid as it's active ingredient ( copper) will bind to the ceramic and leach back over time making it unpredictable and unsafe for crustaceans and sensitive fish .

I have taken cuttings of plants where I could - hate to lose my hair grass mat as it has taken months to grow - but it has too many small mts in amongst the tangled roots to pick them out by hand and just melts in Potassium Permanganate .

Was fun experimenting - but disappointing to come unstuck this late on .

HATE --- MTS !

I do a Canadian Planted tank forum on a pretty regular basis and recently got a major surprise , one that explains why the fluval "Fresh and plant 2.0 " lights easily out perform the Kessil Amazon sun .

The Amazon Sun has a par of 29 at 18 inches (46cm) the Fluval fresh and plant 2.0 has a par of 57 ( for the A3990 60cm light ).

They did not have the par for the original Fluval Aqualife and Plant but I generally get better results on red plants with it as opposed to the Fresh and plant - and carpet plants do better under the Fresh and plant 2.0 go figure !

All that said some plants grow under the Kessils that do not at all do well under the Fluval . So it would appear that these early LED lights are not yet as good as they can be , but none the less good enough for most people .

Early days for new technology .

Still have not torn down and redone my scapes yet as I have been trying to get rid of the MTS by less drastic means - so far without any degree of success . I hate snails !!!

Have you tried the various types of snail traps ?

I found a 600ml bottle with some zucchini in it appeared to trap quite a few. I left it overnight and took it out before the lights came on and removed a large number of snails from one of my tanks.

Have you tried the various types of snail traps ?

I found a 600ml bottle with some zucchini in it appeared to trap quite a few. I left it overnight and took it out before the lights came on and removed a large number of snails from one of my tanks.

That is what I am trying to do . thats why I have not nuked the tank yet - that and the fact that 3.5 bags of EcoComplete costs about $160 .and I really do not want to toss it and my hair grass took a year to grow .