Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami - The "Jolly Swagman" and Co.

Hmmm...

Now I know where my water bill comes from.

Left for work today, and put the hose in the Billabong with the natty little tap-timer set for 1hour.

That should top it up nicely without altering the chemistry too much...

Come home this arvo :help:

~~~~~~~~~~

(Err... that's a photo that I don't know how to upload yet!)

Grover

(to be continued when he gets his technical act together...)

Awesome!

Can't upload a photo yet, but I found this little gem on my forum record.

You have used 85.1 MB of your 500 kB attachment limit.

"You have used 85.1 MB of your 500 kB attachment limit."

Woo Hoo !

Let's see - I think it's a 1,000kB to a Megabyte (1Mb), so I'm 170 times over the limit for photos

I've used up my quota of photo space and then some!!!

PS:  I'm with @Jase86uxb in the 'Goodbye qldaf' thread - "Please! Photo - how to stick in"

If it's not possible yet (and it's a 'future' improvement) just tell us and we'll cope!

02-02-2006%2007%3B53%3B07PM.jpg

Meanwhile...

back in the Billabong...

(or at least just 'downstream' from it)

Soggy-Bottom-30.jpg

I come home from work to find the tap DIDN'T turn itself off, and I have filled the Billabong to overflowing.

The old canoe might get some use yet!

Anyway, lessons learnt - 

1) Never, never, never ever walk away from water running into a tank / pond / billabong LOL

2) See 1) above and repeat ad nauseum....

Grover

(he with the soggy bottom lawn beside the Billabong)

Too-Full-30.jpg

16 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Left for work today, and put the hose in the Billabong with the natty little tap-timer set for 1hour.

Did the tap timer fail? I frequently (almost daily) set my tap timer for 2 hours running an RO, splitting the output and RO waste into two water barrels indoors. Most importantly, I do not have have an old canoe aka safety raft for my family in case of flood.

Maybe I need to learn a lesson from your experience and not trust the tap timer.

Hi @jc12,

I think I just turned the timer on too far and the spring thingies didn't start winding back.  Tried a reset of 15min which seemed to work OK. 

Just one of life's exciting lessons - "things  that work while you are watching them, and then spit the dummy when you turn around!!"

Tow-line ropes

Have a look at the comments about tow-lines! Exactly the same happens to my plumbing efforts in the Billabong and the ag pipes I use.

Grover

If you are setting and walking away for the day, use two timers in series. I do this for those electrical timers (pumping water somewhere) as well as the garden hose timers.

If you are as pessimestic about equipment failure as I am, use different branded timers as well. 

31 minutes ago, Grover65k said:

Just one of life's exciting lessons - "things  that work while you are watching them, and then spit the dummy when you turn around!!"

Tow-line ropes

There may have been one too many moments in my life I spit the dummy... rock climbing and about to do an abseil, hanging off anchor points on a cliff face facing the same predicament with ropes. I swear all ropes think and act in the same delinquent way. Unfortunately it was not a situation a canoe could get me out of easily. I would have needed a helicopter. Or perhaps a mighty big Billabong right underneath me.

7 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

If you are setting and walking away for the day, use two timers in series. I do this for those electrical timers (pumping water somewhere) as well as the garden hose timers.

If you are as pessimestic about equipment failure as I am, use different branded timers as well. 

Thanx!

As always, "words of fishy wisdom"...

Why do I always find this out AFTER I've stuffed up eh? Must be me (and @jc12 too it looks like! LOL)

9 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Hi @jc12,

I think I just turned the timer on too far and the spring thingies didn't start winding back.  Tried a reset of 15min which seemed to work OK. 

Tow-line ropes

Have a look at the comments about tow-lines! Exactly the same happens to my plumbing efforts in the Billabong and the ag pipes I use.

Grover

Well....your well on ya way to topping last water  consumption bill $$$$& oh noice :egrin:

And then I found that I couldn't delete it!

So that's it above.

PS: It doesn't do anything for me, but I assume in the hands / fingers of our expert "Masked IT Dude" it would !

Some bad news from the Billabong - I went away to Canberra for just one day this week, and came home to a "floatie" Oscar - very sad...

36 minutes ago, Grover65k said:

And then I found that I couldn't delete it!

So that's it above.

PS: It doesn't do anything for me, but I assume in the hands / fingers of our expert "Masked IT Dude" it would !

Some bad news from the Billabong - I went away to Canberra for just one day this week, and came home to a "floatie" Oscar - very sad...

ALTER TABLE qldaqua_features
MODIFY sqlallow 'off'
AND 'laugh'

Ah I can't be buggered looking for it right now to disable.  Little bit of a SQL course couldn't hurt anyone... :) 

Wot?

Like this???

EXEC SQL DECLARE XYZ CURSOR FOR
SELECT FISH, SIZE, SPECIES 
FROM AQUARIUM_INFO 
WHERE ID = :Forum-user 
ORDER BY AGE;
EXEC SQL OPEN XYZ; 
while (SQLCODE != 100) {
EXEC SQL FETCH XYZ INTO :who, :what, :where; 
if (SQLCODE == 100)
printf("end of list\n");
else
printf("who = %ld, Fishy-type = %f, size-of-tank = %f\n",who,what,where);
}
EXEC SQL CLOSE XYZ; 

LOL 

Hi everyone,

Apologies for getting side-tracked with the technicalities of the new forum software – it tends to bring out my “IT Geek” side!

Meanwhile back in the Billabong, there’s not a lot happening – I’m actually waiting for Winter to sneak off (to wherever Winter goes in Oz – possibly Victoria!), and then I’ll have the chance to get back into major water-works.

There is a back-log of improvements dependent on the tax cheque –

• ·         Finish the “Affnan” siphon - plumbing

• ·         Load the Bog Bed Filter (BBF) with scoria

• ·         Complete the plumbing to actually operate the BBF

• ·         Wonder if I can afford a Cetus Sieve…

• ·         Discuss GPG agistment with Sclero p

• ·         Buy a new 15ftshade sail thingie, and set it up with the new shade sail material and the zip-ties

• ·         Have another look at Floatrons to see if I should get one or two

• ·         Re-pot the water iris plants ready for Spring/Summer

• ·         Fix the leak in the top of the old sand filter unit

Who knows, I might then be able to sit back and play with the GPGs :-)

Cheers,

Grover

AQ-01.jpgAQ-Floatron3.gifAQ-Cetus-Sieve2.jpg

There Goes the Tax Cheque...

Well, the joys of keeping Giant Gouramis warm in a swimming pool over Winter are overrated!

Especially when your Winter electricity bill comes in at $800 plus for the quarter, and that's with the 6kW of solar panels doing their thing whenever the sun is shining. Mind you, I'm not complaining about the size of the bill, rather the fact that it cuts down the available funds for other GPG-related expenditure  :-/

The "back-log" items listed above are probably going to be "pruned" in the cold light of fiscal responsibility.

Can't wait for Spring to really arrive - the overnight & early morning temps are heading upwards, so the blue cover will come off soon.

Cheers,

Grover

(needs his own nuclear power plant just to keep the Billabong at 25degC)

The bog filter would work adequately without the rise and fall since its so big. Add some water crest or iris to remove nitrates. It will also mechanically filter efficiently. 

So that removes  the need for affanan siphon & cetus sieve whilst reducing water change/consumption. 

I think i saw floatrons on the clearance table at Masters Hardware. 

On 9/5/2016 at 7:45 PM, Donny@ageofaquariums said:

They use that as a large scale veggie filter for treated human waste in northern nsw.

Dear Mr @ex0h

Would it be possible to have some variations on the "Like this" button to include "Not Sure About this", perhaps "Positively Aghast at this", or even "What Was He Thinking with this".

I'm certain that these new buttons would be very welcome by forum members responding to Donny's comments.

Yours Respectfully, I Remain a Faithfull Forum Member...

Mr Grover

(who is not going to eat anything that comes out of a filter setup in northern NSW ever again!)

Edited by Grover65k
Can't spell "@ex0h"

15 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Dear Mr @ex0h

Would it be possible to have some variations on the "Like this" button to include "Not Sure About this", perhaps "Positively Aghast at this", or even "What Was He Thinking with this".

I'm certain that these new buttons would be very welcome by forum members responding to Donny's comments.

Yours Respectfully, I Remain a Faithfull Forum Member...

Mr Grover

(who is not going to eat anything that comes out of a filter setup in northern NSW ever again!)

And a dedicated button on landing page that takes people straight to this thread. It's the most viewed one. 

Taking us to the latest post at very end of long page would be even better. 

On 25/08/2016 at 11:40 AM, Grover65k said:
  • ·         Wonder if I can afford a Cetus Sieve…
             ·

Maybe you can repurpose a rainwater "volume filter"?   There are lots of different types but this one with the easily removable screen caught my eye.  - I saw one on ebay a few months ago for $80  Google up "volume filter vf1" for more details.