tuffy_rana

problem with brine shrimp hatching

Ok...... so i have bred fish for approx 25 years and been successfully hatching brine shrimp for some 20 years odd.

I have purchased a new can of ocean nutrition brine shrimp 90% hatch. I have tried 4 batches since wednesday with little to no success

Anyone have any info on a bad batch ?

The eggs do not seem to rehydrate and remain floating after 48 hours.

Im not looking on how to hatch them.......just wondering if anyone has had a sh1t can off them

Used by date august 2019

If you contact supplier or Australian importer with the batch number on can, they may be able to shed more light. Hatch rates can plummet if the case gets too hot. Sometimes one side of the shipping container gets affected while the other side is fine. If your opened can gets moisture, hatch rates will also fall.

If you have a 60 x microscope you can see how well cysts hydrate. An hour soak should be enough. Look into decapsulation if cysts hydrate but don't hatch.

Thanks for the feedback. I decapsulated some last night. The appeared to decapsulate fine and have gone a nice shade of orange. To be honest never worried about doing it much as they used to hatch better than 80% without the process.

I find it funny that they have gone up in price but the quality has dropped and need of bleaching a must

Thanks for the feedback. I decapsulated some last night. The appeared to decapsulate fine and have gone a nice shade of orange. To be honest never worried about doing it much as they used to hatch better than 80% without the process.

I find it funny that they have gone up in price but the quality has dropped and need of bleaching a must

It's most probably the cysts have gotten too moist, especially with all the humidity & rain recently. When was the can opened? If you store the majority in a zip lock bag in the fridge (or freezer) you can keep hatch rates going. The zip lock bag prevents condensation but you need to wait 15 minutes for temperature to adjust before opening.

There is a world wide shortage of artemia. Harvesting of lesser grade and prices going up. It hurts to pay over a thousand dollars per box but does make you appreciate the resource and find alternatives and methods to maximize use.

decapsulation is highly recommended. It will shorten hatch times considetably, allow you to use all unhatched cysts and the naupilii have up to twice the nutrition since they havent had to struggle and use energy to get out. They are also chemically cleaned from bacteria and pathogens which can be an issue for marine species.

Hi Tuffy

I have a can of ocean nutrition eggs.

Exp is april 2018

I have always just kept my cans in the fridge since opened just with plastic lid on it.

I am hatching twice a week - no probs here.

I hatch in my garage where it is nice and hot.

I dont imagine this time of year is affecting your hatching but I do remember struggling to hatch them years ago in winter in a cool room so just wondering if temp may be the problem?

Edited by borntobreed

You should be able to get hatches 15-20 years later if stored properly ( if some stories r 2 b believed)

The other thing to do is put a water absorging packet in the bags too. ( shoe shops used to give me heaps of them)

Or just buy decap bs of eBay or me

Temp, pH, light and salinity are pre requisites for successful hatch. Plenty of info online and from manufacturer.

The problem with not taking notes is that it's hard to work out what's going wrong when you are used to everything going right.

I had a bad batch about two years ago. Same as for you, just didn't want to hatch the same as previous cans I bought. I tried various things but couldn't get them to hatch properly (maybe 50%). In the end I was able to get them exchanged for a new can in the shop I bought them at. The next can was fine again. So it can happen. May have been proper storage somewhere along the supply chain...

When decapsulating the eggs with bleach, is it possible to store the decapulated eggs and use over time? If so how? I run a hatching bottle daily with just 1/2 a teaspoon of eggs - I can't imagine I'd want to play with bleach on a daily basis (expensive also).

I've bought commercially decapsulated eggs (stored in a liquid dropper bottle) and the hatch rate was terrible.

Bleach won't be strong enough to decapsulate artemia. Even chlorine stored too long becomes too weak.

Once decapsulated, it can be stored in fridge for 4 -6 weeks. And kept much longer un der a saturated saline solution. Essentially add salt to water until you can't dissolve anymore. The salt will dehydrate the cysts (again). It's very easy to over cook the cysts with chlorine. I use a microscope to monitor as each batch is slightly different.

Most fish work out the unhatched cysts are food very quickly. If I'm lazy i don't even bother hatching the artemia once they know.

Crysis over

I will however say there is either a drama with this batch

Or the quality of brine has drastically decreased in the last 2 years

This webpage is a good insight into the difficulties of harvesting quality artemia

http://saltlakebrineshrimp.com/harvest/

http://saltlakebrineshrimp.com/in-the-news/utah-brine-shrimp-feed-asia-industry/

Edited by aquaholic99