Grumundi

Strip or Not to Strip - the tropheus question

Well im stuck between a rock and a hard place at the momment with my decision on if i will strip my girls or not.

I currently have 3 dubiosi girls holding, 1 chimpibi, 1 bulu point.

Now I have been patient with my dubiosi and still have not got any fry, over about 6 months I would have seen about 15-20 mouthfuls come and go becuase I wanted to let them spit naturally.

But now im starting to think that with tropheus's short breeding time, (2-3 years after mature) and the large investment in 5 colonies should I start to strip my girls and get some of that cash back (for more tanks and colonies) or should I stick to my original plan.

Not sure what to do.

Any advice or opinions welcome.

hi grum thats a hard 1 but if its any help i strip all my females after letting them hold 4 bout 2 wks n end with larger numbers do the same with all my africans without 2 many loses sems 2 work 4 me hope it helps.

cheers doug 8)

well i would strip i am by no means an expert but everyone else is thinking that so i guess it could not hurt. although i must say i believe i get better enjoyment out of letting them spit and it all happen naturally. but seeing as though they dont breed for too long and you want some money back for some other fish and stuff strip them. i hope that made sense thanks.

Well I decided im not going to strip after my first attempt at striping tropheus,

1 BLOODY hour later and 1 egg, im soaking wet, the floor is wet, the fish are not happy and im depressed at my lack of success, god must be doing a good job cause im here, so im gonna leave it upto him.

Well thay have a nasty habet of holding to death do them part lol

I have seen it done and have striped a few in the past

If thay will hold for 10 days

I would get a tooth pick but take of some of the sharp end

And use that to hold the mouth open

After 10 days the fry should be free swimming of sorts and will have a better chance of living+ they will he harder for the girl to hold them in

Andrew

Well after deciding not to strip,

Last night I was watching me fishies and noticed a little head pop out, about a 1cm long spotted duboisi bub. After hunting my 8 footer for about 30 mins I think I have about 8-10 fry. Not sure if its more than one mouthful as all the girls are holding quite often.

So I didnt strip and I got plenty of healthy fry. possibly more if I did, but alot less hassle and I like the idea of natural selection, it made me the super star I am today lol.

I would strip if you really want fry but I have seen tropheus kept very successfully in tanks covered in fontanalis (java moss). So thick you cant even see the back of the tank or the fish. The fish just spawn and spawn. You need strong light or natural sunlight for this but the fish love the algae that occurs in this situation and have amazing colour as a result.