The Tech Den

Will we loose a third of freshwater fish species.

Patriotism has become a dirty word. Instead of it meaning loyalty and love of your country, It now means bigotry and hatred of multiculturalism. I feel the reason is that, patriots expect immigrants to assimilate, where many immigrants feel that immigration is a means to expand their homeland. Multiculturalism only works by assimilation otherwise it's another problem for future generations to fix.

Another oroblem is that we measure success by growth. Something not eternally viable on a finite world.

I never understood that either Donny, but I am no economist, I suppose growth means jobs but for how long?

Any animal in plague proportion is going to be a problem, they need food and water over 7 billion animals.

Plus their pets and livestock.

We catch a lotta fish for our cats and cut down a lotta trees for our cows.

I say that as someone with a cat who likes steak.

And that alone gives me a pretty hefty carbon footprint.

If we dont build dams we need to conserve water.... livestock and mining both require vast quantities. Unfortunately thats how they make cash over there. Everyone wants to join the car and iphone club. For most its more important than some fish...

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

That is true Donny and as humans we have grown food in all the easy areas, river banks etc, it's only going to get harder from here. I am doing my bit for the planet, no kids! plus the bald gene stops with me, I am doing my own line breeding and stopping the poorly bred male right here!

Peak oil is not a theory. Its maths. Our populations are inflated due to cheap oil. Its going to end, and things are going to change.

Change is scary, but it won't all be bad.

The biggest secret in the world today, is what the actual oil reserve is.

One nation, Cuba went thru a cut off of oil....

And survived. We can learn a lot from them. Prepare to get your hippy on tho Grubby :) we all gonna be eating a lot more local organic veggies in the future.

And riding bicycles.

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION]

local organic veggies in the future.

That is what I live on !

Along with locally grown chooks - Alive or dead whichever is cheaper . they all cook up the same .

And riding bicycles.

Everyone gives cyclists crap lol

BUT when the other option is walking..... people suddenly become fans.

I think with a bit of thought we can actually improve our quality of life once we remove the crutch that oil has become.

The Roman empire stagnated because it was just so easy to use slaves. No real reason to innovate and improve tech.

The same is true of us. Why bother with alternative tech while the current combustion engine stuff is so easy?

Take it away and suddenly we have that magical encouragement called nessesity.

Back to bikes..... Turbo Kid gets my best film of 2015.

That is what I live on !

Along with locally grown chooks - Alive or dead whichever is cheaper . they all cook up the same .

Been so long since I plucked a chook. Curious how my kid would handle helping out. Its not exactly the same as an episode of My Little Ponies!

Wonder if anyone here has their own hydro electric? Not so much a dam, but yea the small scale water wheels and turbines are quite popular in the states. Seem to be fish friendly....

Been so long since I plucked a chook. Curious how my kid would handle helping out. Its not exactly the same as an episode of My Little Ponies!

Wonder if anyone here has their own hydro electric? Not so much a dam, but yea the small scale water wheels and turbines are quite popular in the states. Seem to be fish friendly....

I can't do it in front of my grandkids - they would go hysterical !

Patriotism has become a dirty word. Instead of it meaning loyalty and love of your country, It now means bigotry and hatred of multiculturalism. I feel the reason is that, patriots expect immigrants to assimilate, where many immigrants feel that immigration is a means to expand their homeland. Multiculturalism only works by assimilation otherwise it's another problem for future generations to fix.

Germany in the 21st Century.

We just need to be attacked by another planet, and we would all bond nicely. Humans are like cichlids, our great parenting instinct results in us constantly searching for external threats. With no other real large predators to worry about.... we turn on each other.

A race of space monsters would bring about peace.... by giving us a war.

:)

The duality of man.

That is what I live on !

Organic food cannot feed 7 billion people, it's a pipe dream and is an unfortunate truth.

We just need to be attacked by another planet, and we would all bond nicely. Humans are like cichlids, our great parenting instinct results in us constantly searching for external threats. With no other real large predators to worry about.... we turn on each other.

A race of space monsters would bring about peace.... by giving us a war.

:)

The duality of man.

I think a few scouts might be here now, not pointing any fingers .....lol

Organic food cannot feed 7 billion people, it's a pipe dream and is an unfortunate truth.

I do not really care - so long as I can have mine - I will only be around another 5 years ( 10 max ) unlikely to be a problem I have to face .

I have watched as growth based capitalism has wrecked the planet , the worlds economy and the health of billions .

That is where the myth lies - " Sustainable Growth " = infinity in a finite world .

I have to admit that although I have not taken part in it , I have not even tried to do anything to prevent it - ( I always had something more immediate and more important to do )

Anybody who knows anything about Mathematics at all would understand that " Sustainable Growth " is an impossibility . It is a myth that US , Wall st Financiers try to sell the world .

It always reminds me of the old "Ponzi Schemes" ( "Pyramid Schemes ") used to con working class people of $millions - the operating principals are very similar .

To try and create the growth they try to turn more people , in more countries , into " Consumers " meaning they require more resources ( electricity being one of those resources ) and to provide those resources they destroy the environment . In this case damming rivers and destroying ecosystems .

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] said:

"I do not really care - so long as I can have mine - I will only be around another 5 years ( 10 max ) unlikely to be a problem I have to face ."

That's not nice pony, to not care about anyone else. Not even your family and friends?

Surely you don't mean that?

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] said:

"I do not really care - so long as I can have mine - I will only be around another 5 years ( 10 max ) unlikely to be a problem I have to face ."

That's not nice pony, to not care about anyone else. Not even your family and friends?

Surely you don't mean that?

By the time it happens I will be too dead to care !

Sorry @ponytail, I did not mean my words to come across as sounding so harsh and arrogant, the intent was much softer! my apologies, it is true though apart from niche markets organic food cannot support 7 billion.

To each their own, I don't buy all organic, I just buy fresh produce and not from Woolworthes or Coles, I buy it from the local green grocer, I don't care if it is organic or not, I am not lazy and spend the time to support my local butcher and green grocer all my money does not go back to the multinationals!

Again my apologies!

That has nothing to do with culture or the fact the man is Pakistani, it's more to do with the seriousness of the offences, Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant are Australians, pointing the finger at Pakistan is pointing the finger at Australians.

That has nothing to do with culture or the fact the man is Pakistani, it's more to do with the seriousness of the offences, Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant are Australians, pointing the finger at Pakistan is pointing the finger at Australians.

Um he was a Pakistani national. You cannot blame this one on Australia this is no different to the packs of men in Cologne or the grooming gangs of Rotherham, he does not know how to behave around Western women.

I take a very dim view of this kind of behaviour towards woman. I was on the coast yesterday with my family, but further down the strip. If he had tried that on my wife or daughter, he wouldn't be facing the magistrate. I would.

WOG boy, wake up FFS. I suggest you do a bit of reading beyond what the Mainstream media shovel feeds you.

Um he was a Pakistani national. You cannot blame this one on Australia this is no different to the packs of men in Cologne or the grooming gangs of Rotherham, he does not know how to behave around Western women.

I take a very dim view of this kind of behaviour towards woman. I was on the coast yesterday with my family, but further down the strip. If he had tried that on my wife or daughter, he wouldn't be facing the magistrate. I would.

WOG boy, wake up FFS. I suggest you do a bit of reading beyond what the Mainstream media shovel feeds you.

Well said Grubby next thing in the news regarding this is the old "charges have been dropped because of his religious back ground" you just wait! or we never hear of it again and it get swept under the rug, it makes me sick

Edited by crusty76

It could if we worked together but it won't because people.

So what you say is true. We rely on cheap pesticides, fertilizers and labor..... all of which are thanks to oil. Take away the oil and production and distribution vanish as well.

There is certainly going to be a large adjustment. We certainly won't be eating as much steak. If we took the grain we currently feed chickens, cows and pigs.... and used it for people..... we could feed billions more of us.

Cuba was an island around 10 million people. Was a scary change to organics buuut they did it with minimal losses to starvation. The real shock is going from using large machines to using people. Most of us have blissfully forgotten what its like to do a day working in the fields.