navneet

Seeding for Fishless Cycle on Gold Coast

Hi

I have been trying t establish a new tank but not having any success and the ammonia is not coming down last 6 days

Can any one from gold coast share any substract from an established tank please

Thanks

Navneet

Hello Navneet. there are lots of products & info that can help you, Im sure you have already read up on the nitrogen cycle & have a test kit.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cycling.php

Have you tried one of the 'bacteria starter' products?

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Bacteria_Start_Ups_s/2220.htm

Time is the key to long term success.

I have cycled a large system in only a couple of weeks by water changing a running system into the new system, I have a couple of 'test' fish in there & they are fine but I'm sure if I moved a heap in at once my filter would not be able to cope, so time is still key here.

you can also clean old filter material into the tank water of the new tank & that should kickstart it. perhaps someone down your way may be able to help you out with a bit of dirty dacron from their filter? or your local fish store if you ask nicely?

Hi Craigo thanks for the links. I have tried 3 shops for rinsing the old filter etc to provide seed bacteria but all said they cant and I can buy seachem stability or similar product. Anyway now that the cycle has started it should eventually get there with the right environment for bacteria.

...I have tried 3 shops for rinsing the old filter etc to provide seed bacteria but all said they cant and I can buy seachem stability or similar product...

if you have asked, a lot of members can let you have some bacteria to start on. I've been running spare sponge filters and the dacrons I would normally just throw it and replace with new one. Would have been nice for the shops to help out instead of selling products...

Almost there:

Reading yesterday Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 added ammonia to make 4 ppm and after 21 Hours Ammonia 0 Nitrite 2ppm Hopefully in few more days it can process all nitrite within 24 hours

Sounds like it is time to put a guppy or two in there.

And a tad sad no GC members replied to your request for seeding help.

Personally, all that magic bacteria ina bottle stuff....I have never understood it and preferred the au naturale method too.

Almost there:

Reading yesterday Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 added ammonia to make 4 ppm and after 21 Hours Ammonia 0 Nitrite 2ppm Hopefully in few more days it can process all nitrite within 24 hours

Sounds like your on the right track! Just be careful with your PH if you are using ammonia, it's a handy tool to cycle with, but I usually replace all water before adding fish as it can drop pretty low.

You can rush a cycle with product, seeded filters etc, but I find taking my time works out for the best. From start to finish of a cycle, I tend to have changed my mind about 20 times on what fish is going in the tank. The longer you take with the cycle the more thought/research goes into your stocking decision.