joller

biggest and best american for my tank?

Hi there,

I'm having a hard time maintaining soft water and low ph in my 1200 litre tank, due to time to cost restraints. so i'm thinking i might give up on uarus for now and shift over to something more tolerant of my tap water which is 7.6-7.8 and i believe about 80TDS

so i'm fishing for suggestions on species which are readily available, have a good amount of character and grow LARGE (and i'm not really keen on oscars)

I've never kept any tank busters before but i'm thinking at the moment i would like a green terror at least, maybe a red devil, trimac or veija sp.

please give me your thoughts/opinions on 3-5 large fish that would get along in a 2.15mx0.9 wide x 0.75 tall tank with plenty of decor.

i also really like fish that dig :D

Thanks, Joel.

Ohhhh where to begin

Argentina are nice and are becoming more avalible. Chocolate cichlids always stand out ( pearsei cichlid).

Not a American but close enough a good quality pollini are beautiful. Zotanus

If you were looking at setting this up as a community type tank I would avoid flowerhorns ugly mean *****s.

The bigger guys like dovii and umbee are difficult to keep with other fish to put it lightly.

My advice, buy quality fish not cheap. Some of the members on here breed Americans, eg [MENTION=1378]Fish[/MENTION]junky has a rep for quality Americans.

And if possible by juvies around the same size at the same time and grow them out together for your best chance. Americans produce a lot of waste so filters need to be up to task or water changes become a never ending job.

Best of luck

Would you count discus and Angel fish as American cichlids? I'm setting a tank up like this right now, the pros are you can have the tank really nicely planted, along with being able to have small tetras for more interest.

No offence to anyone but I hate hybrids. Discus and angels are cool but I was more thinking tank busters that will like my 7.8 ph

Will look into argentini and chocs thanks

Yeah the idea is buy all together

Edited by joller

I always liked the Trimac .

Not sure what they call it these days but used to be called "Cichlasoma Trimaculatum "

None are left in Aus. The flowerhorn people burnt that bridge and pissed on the ashes

None are left in Aus. The flowerhorn people burnt that bridge and pissed on the ashes

Be sad if they are all gone !

I would have thought somebody out there would still breed pure ones !

That cans that then !

at the moment i'm thinking definitely synspilum, red devil and GT. i've read chos are pretty passive would they fit in? might also go a male convict as i've heard they can hold their own

i would really like festae but i know they can be pretty agro...

i've never kept any of the above fish so again any input on suitability is greatly appreciated.

im using a hamburg style sponge filter. dont want to stock to

Joller i probably don't know as much about these larger Americans as some of the others who have commented here. I only keep some of the smaller Centrals and South Americans such as Geos, Santoperca,Nics etc and they can grow into substantial size fish, saying this, i don't think only a Hamburg style filter will be efficient enough to filter the waste byproducts from the fish you are wanting to keep. I think i would firstly look at upgrading the filtration system to accomodate the fish loading you are wanting to keep and also do regular water changes. I must say if you can get your hands an a well bred Argentea they are just stunning, another really nice fish and quiet docile is A.Robertsoni.

Your current filtration system won't cut it with the big guys. Big poo machines.

A good canister filter/sump with a internal filters are what is ideal in a display tank set up, otherwise you get crap settling on the bottom. The guys will have a few scraps so water quality is really important at keeping the risk of infection down.

Setting up the tank layout to break line of sight and create seperate territory can help curve aggression.

Never underestimate a male convict they can be relentless, Some of the veija species can be much mor Agro than feste and or gt. having said that American can alway throw curve balls at you.

Hi there,

I'm having a hard time maintaining soft water and low ph in my 1200 litre tank, due to time to cost restraints. so i'm thinking i might give up on uarus for now and shift over to something more tolerant of my tap water which is 7.6-7.8 and i believe about 80TDS

so i'm fishing for suggestions on species which are readily available, have a good amount of character and grow LARGE (and i'm not really keen on oscars)

I've never kept any tank busters before but i'm thinking at the moment i would like a green terror at least, maybe a red devil, trimac or veija sp.

please give me your thoughts/opinions on 3-5 large fish that would get along in a 2.15mx0.9 wide x 0.75 tall tank with plenty of decor.

i also really like fish that dig :D

Thanks, Joel.

Since you already have Uaru, why don't you keep them at tap water pH? Just give up on the breeding side of things.

i'm after something a bit more boisterous, my 6 month old will really enjoy it i reckon, plus i've never had the 'wet pet' experience

so motaguense are not available here i gather? they do look pretty special..

my filtration and maintenance is 500x700x80mm thick corner matten + 3 xy380s with weekly 30-50% changes, if that's not enough perhaps i should just go for a pair of synspilum or festae (or motaguense :P ) and dithers