Kalo1993

Weaning coal grunters

Like [MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION] wrote, oh and be prepared for one to kill the other, this I know I had three in a 6ft tank and woke up one morning with two dead and the other one wanting breakfast, Lol

They should be fairly easy to get on to pellets, when you feed bloodworms try to mix it up with some small 1mm pellets or micro wafer, they should take to it.

Grunters usually swarm over food only taking a quick glance at their meal.

Be careful with them being so small. If they dont eat they will suffer big time. Better off to wean them rather cold turkey change. As stated by sephiroth:

Try feeding bloodworms for a week same time, same place in the tank then get some food that you want to wean them onto and soak in some mashed up bloodworm wait for the food to become soft but not smooshy and feed a little bit with a couple of blood worms. It might not work right away but it will work. As they start taking the pellet, reduce the amount of smooshed up bloodworm until you are feeding nothing but pellet.

Golden perch are very difficult, even weaning them with commercial Artemeia replacement diet results in significant mortality. The bloodworm/pellet method works but I would start with 10 not 1 to increase your chances.

Just be careful on what type of Pellet you feed them as they are prone to becoming obese if fed a poor quality diet. On the aggression issue they are actually a schooling species. Provided the tank is set up correctly it is possible to keep numbers together and even breed them in tanks. You may get the odd youngster surviving in the main tank.

Edited by none

Just be careful on what type of Pellet you feed them as they are prone to becoming obese if fed a poor quality diet

What brand pellets would you recommend? I have been feeding it hikari gold and new life spectrum thera a as well as blood and earth worms.. and i have to admit its starting to look obese already lol

Just be careful on what type of Pellet you feed them as they are prone to becoming obese if fed a poor quality diet.

Tacking on thread because my little 7cm coalie is getting a little fatty-boom-bah. Only feeding 5 times a week one of aquaculture crumble or live blackworms or frozen brine shrimp. The main problem is I have 10 purple spotted gudgeons in the tank which eat a lot more slowly and the coalie is hoovering up everything in sight. The aquaculture crumble (barramundi food I think from Aquagreen) is old (years) so I suspect qualifies as "poor quality" and I'll get something fresher and cut down frequency (or increase live morsals). The reason I've stuck with the old aquaculture food is because the PSG's lap it up.

Would a diet of live/frozen only be less fattening?

Any pellet particularly recommended for these?

Edited by Grubs