garywant87

Name these fish

So all Paratilapia in the hobby, both here and abroad, were only collected by Melanie S from one locality?

That quote doesn't state that all Paratilapia in Australia come from the one location. It just says that one person was the first to collect from one locality and introduced fish from this locality to the hobby. It even says the author collected fish from many locations in Madagascar.

No all original (within reason), "small spot" available in the hobby worldwide were from Melanie's collection at Vatomandry. Jean Claude/Patrick DeRham and Paul Loiselle introduced some other localities at other times. Both Jean Claude, Patrick and Paul used to stay with me in Madagascar. But if you look through timelines of when various types were collected, then where they went (overseas) then look at when they become available in Australia you will be able to work it out yourself. You don't have to believe me, I know for a fact that it is the truth. There is a book Cichlids of Madagascar it has timelines in it.

[MENTION=4270]Neolamprologus[/MENTION] I know very few people in the hobby, so am happy to learn from other hobbyists, people in the industry, and people with more knowledge and experience than me.

I thought your previous reply to me was a quote (c&p) from a Magazine, not you actually replying. My mistake.

Your first reply in this thread was very definitive, but lacking any supporting evidence. If people don't know you, or who you are by reputation, some supporting information is often some benefit to all concerned.

A quick search told me that P. bleekeri is a junior synonym of P. polleni. Id like to do some more research on this when my brain is more awake, but I don't know how far I will get as the descriptions are all over 100 years old - I don't fancy my chances of finding the journals online. I kind of get the feeling that the entire genus has been dumped into the too hard basket.