matt_a

Longfin African cichlids

Whilst there is already a multitude of "longfin" fish available from a range of families including Loricariidae, Osphronemidae, Cyprinidae and Cichlidae, I cannot say that I had seen or heard of the longfin gene being exposed in any African cichlids until this morning when I stumbled across a photograph of a long finned Protomelas sp. 'steveni taiwan.'

post-237-14711634844896_thumb.jpg

Longfin cichlids are not a new thing; longfin rams, oscars and angels have been around for years, and even some of those nasty hybrids have received the longifn treatment, but all of those fish hail from the Americas - longfin African cichlids didn't seem to be a thing. After this morning's discovery I started to wonder if I had been living under a rock and completely missed the headlines, so I did a little further research and discovered another image, this time of a longfin Tropheus.

post-237-14711634845002_thumb.jpg

Beyond these two photographs I have not been able to find anything else in regards to long fin Africans - has anyone else seen or heard of any longfin African cichlids? I could only imagine the possibilities if the longfin gene popped up in some Aulonocara, or even some mbuna could look pretty stunning with excessively long fins.

I never really left. Just been having more fun trolling facebook instead :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71077[/ATTACH]

Donny was talking about "none" Matt. I fink.

Anyway whichever its good to have both Matts' on board.