Hey Ian

Sorry to disappoint you but I am not the President of Queensland Aquarium Hobbyists.

I have a more important role I am the Treasurer. :eyebrows:

As for sellers having go be on stage, the rule that was brought in, was that the seller had to be present at the front area while their items were being sold.

This was for two reasons, one was to get them to help and so save on volunteers and the second was to be able to change reserves if they wanted to.

The first reason still applies, but now that every item starts at the reserve and is passed in if no bids are forthcoming, the second reason is no longer valid.

As a result this rule is not rigidly enforced any more, but we still welcome their help at the front as runners.

At present QAH, QCG, QFAS and GCAS? are the only people holding Auctions, QFAS also holds Market Days.

A couple of years ago all clubs agreed in principle to use the same basic guidelines for Auctions.

But there some differences e.g. QAH only have 15% commission, QFAS 20% and QCG depends on if you are a member or not as to how much commission is taken.

Also the QCG Auction is fish only unlike the others where it is anything related to the fish keeping hobby.

As for photos;

Greg does a absolute FANTASTIC job getting photos of fish plants etc up for people to see.

Unfortunately sometimes things happen, he needs to have a break, he does not have a photo of that particular species, problems with equipment etc.

It is a great idea for sellers to provide photos but they would need to get them to Greg earlier rather than later.

At present no one but Greg could do this job, if you have seen how many photos Greg has and how he files them you would understand.

I would like to thank everyone who volunteered to help at the auction as well as all those who bought or sold or even just attended the auction.

It was a great auction to start the year with.

The next Auction is at Indooroopilly and is set down for 19th March and the next Market Day will be in Ipswich on April 16th.

Yes the venue for the Market Day has changed and will be at the Ipswich Vigoro Club Joyce Street Ipswich.

Graeme

Edited by xysti53

we need two Greg's then as we have two Auctioneers (a Greg for each auctioneer)maybe

The problem is that Greg has spent years collecting the Photos , sorting them and setting it all up so it can be searched .

It is not something that could be setup overnight . Not to mention finding somebody with Gregs Fish identification skills .

or instead off using scientific name off the fish maybe using the common names for the dumb ass like me that know most fish by the common names eg Aequidens pulcher (Blue Acara) stuff like that it all helps

Unfortunately common names vary on many fish from wholesaler to wholesaler .

Not to mention that some of the volunteers do not know every kind of fish .

I know myself , I have been around fish for 50 years now and I know a fair bit - until you get to lake Malawi or African riverines of which I know Zip , nada , Zilch , nothing - nor care to ! and Central American cichlids of which my knowledge falls short as just an example .

So they , in a lot of cases have to use what is on the bag (Which they do in good faith ), They are after all VOLUNTEERS not professionals they do the best they can and for unpaid worker they do a very good job

or instead off using scientific name off the fish maybe using the common names for the dumb ass like me that know most fish by the common names eg Aequidens pulcher (Blue Acara) stuff like that it all helps

But it's not Aequidens pulcher any more.

:bolt:

But it's not Aequidens pulcher any more.

:bolt:

So it is Andinoacara pulcher this month what will they change it to next ?

Yes scientific names are constantly changing due to active reclassification - both names ( common and scientific ) should be mentioned if possible and any current synonyms if known and with some natives and Tangs a catch location or variant .