Hi all

I was a seller at last night's auction and I feel that some of the photos last night did not do justice to my fish (One did not even have a photo).

Just wondering if the relevant people think if it would be possible for a buyer to submit their own pics ???

I understand it could be a logistic nightmare if every seller did that and the pictures are a guide only, but second auction in a row as a seller and not all my fish had pictures I felt assisted in the sale of my fish.

Any feedback appreciated

yes photos help to sell the fish that's y people all ways ask for pic when u r selling fish on here or facebook I go by photos for the fish I'm going to by

Edited by tdj5

Maybe talk to the club holding the auction and ask if you can email the photos to them prior to the auction. Might be a fair bit of work for the person operating the slides/computer on the evening to be given a heap of USB sticks on the night.

But I am most definitely in favour of actual photos of the fish. The auctions I have been to, they put up photos of "type specimens" and my concern has always been that fish being auctioned may not grow out the same as the photos. Not all fish are created equal unfortunately.

Another idea is that QLDAF could have a Auction Photo Thread, where if you know what you are selling before hand, you could put up photos of the fish in the thread.

I think it would be a good idea as someone like myself or someone just getting into the hobby doesn't always know the type of fish being auctioned. Although it would probably be a good idea to research what you want to buy before a auction, something might come up that you didn't know you want and if there isn't a picture the seller and buyers both miss out.

Also being a auction you can't go and inspect every bag of fish before bidding and therefore you might not get the quality you are hoping for. I bought some fish a few auctions back that were said to be X (which they were) but totally different quality to which I was expecting as different breeders might pick different genetic traits for their fish.

I trust the breeder not a photo

FJ

I used to until an auction late last year !

Where I did know who the breeder was , and still got caught .

You can inspect the fish at the point of payment and knock them back .

Inspect carefully , knock them back if they are not right .

Hey All, I was at the auction last night and bought some great fish. My biggest concernwas that not only where the photo's limited they either went up and then covered by anothger or closed before you had a chance to even see what the fish was any way. It seemed that the person looking after the photo's was so busy he only had a couple of seconds to find the pic display it and then move on. I overheard a number of people asking what the point was as we never knew which picture was for which auctioneer or bag of fish. I agree that planning needs to be done and trying to organise, register and list 60 boxes of fish in an hour and a half is a big job.

Maybe people selling the fish could consider finalising their items for sale a week prior and send through the list of fish to the coordinator. This would allow for getting the list prepared which could be done under seller but no one is told who it is, then only changes allowed would be withdrawal of items eg sold before auction/died or minor changes which could be done on arrival.

The other thing I found unusual was that the the auction was not really an auction as no one was permitted to bid unless they bid the identified reserve. I understand the idea of ensuring the seller gets his reserve but surely if a bag of ten guppies are being sold you don't tell everyone they have to pay $10. If the auctioneer knows the reserve then why not just say something like " We have a bag of ten guppies we are selling as a lot bidding starts at $1 per fish...", people wil feel like they are now in control of the bidding and more willing to raise the bids. I was so reluctant to bid when I was told I had to pay $20 for 3 fish before anything else.

I would also ask that the club review its bidding policy for value of bids as during the night a number of people were overcharged, potentially, for dry goods as the auctioneers were raing the bids by $2 not the stated $1 on the back of the buyers numbers. This was confusing as one auctioneer raised bids on dry goods but the other did it in $ 2 increments.

Finally I would like to thank the club and people who put on the auction, overall it was a good night with laughs and conversation especially the possums for their entertaining climbing around the stage.

When I use to go to auctions you could always go up and inspect the fish in the bag before bidding , beats any photo hands down you get to see the real thing ( got to love old technology )

When I use to go to auctions you could always go up and inspect the fish in the bag before bidding , beats any photo hands down you get to see the real thing ( got to love old technology )

Often the auction/bidding goes to fast for this.

i'd say most people have a fairly good idea what they're after before they even arrive.

although i am all for smoother organisation and decent quality pics if they're going to go to that much effort they might as well do a decent job of it.

[MENTION=16893]garywant87[/MENTION] they start at the reserve to save time and it does save a lot of time .....was taking to long to get people biding then it wouldn't make reserve ..... And the cycle would repeat over and over till it was midnight then people would moan about that ... The faster it moves the better for all involved

[MENTION=16893]garywant87[/MENTION] one comment you made about potential over charging because of the bidding increments is totally wrong.

The Auctioneer has total control of what bidding increments each item will be auctioned at.

Except, as is printed on the bidding card, the "MINIMUM" bidding increment for fish is $2 and dry good $1.

That means that the auctioneer cannot go below these amounts but can use any amount above them.

On some items last night the increments should have been $5 or more.

Going up in $1 increments is a waste of time.

Putting a reserve on an item simply means that the seller is willing to take that item home if it does not sell for the reserve.

So why muck around just start at that reserve and if no one wants to pay the reserve the seller gets to take it home . Simple.

Graeme

Edited by xysti53

It's an auction.... items are cheap. If you want to pre inspect the actual fish and be assured of quality - have refunds - get good customer service then a retail aquarium outlet is my suggestion.

Most people are on their mobile devices and have googled images and species information long before the club organisers have had time to search their photo catalogue library/DVD and put it onto the screen (that isn't visible for everyone). It would be fairly easy for a club (or QFAS collectively ) to have a photo URL which they can make public a few hours before the auction. Auctioneer would only need to say #684 (for example) and everyone could see what information is intended for that particular item. Whether the same catalogue photo or a member supplied photo be shown is totally up to the club. The page would also be an easy method to inform everyone of rules, expectations, food items, etc etc. Keeping the same page (URL ) makes it easier than each club having a different URL so QFAS level, not local club level.

So all good if I bring my own photos on a USB next auction to put up when my lot of fish comes up ?

[MENTION=1969]smootheye[/MENTION]

If Greg hasn't got a photo of the fish your selling be it rare or different variety he will use it. But can't be expected to use usb sticks for every one. It's a hard enough job as it is

FJ

I used to until an auction late last year !

Where I did know who the breeder was , and still got caught .

You can inspect the fish at the point of payment and knock them back .

Inspect carefully , knock them back if they are not right .

There's only a handful of breeders I would buy from without question

Everyone else I would want to see fish and parents with my own eyes

What I was getting at is that the original photo from a camera can be completely different from what you see when posted

FJ

There's only a handful of breeders I would buy from without question

Everyone else I would want to see fish and parents with my own eyes

What I was getting at is that the original photo from a camera can be completely different from what you see when posted

FJ

You talking about Photoshop and the like ?