Shed100

Fish Enthusiasts wanted for Men's Shed SIG (Special Interest Group)

Another niche service you could also provide is a auction service where breeders bring their own fish in and use your premises as a point of sale.

Certain aquarium groups already hold these. If you were competitive with rental rates im sure some groups might look to you as an alternative.

Provide a bbq selling snags and cans of soft drink all adding to the profits of the shed. Hold 3 or 4 a year and you might come close to covering some of your running costs.

A bonus being that there are not many southside auctions.

Pretty awesome idea, I hate seeing those Northside auctions and not being able to go to them ;)

I lol'd at that one, breeders don't need to stick to any sort of rules (it's not a law) but saying you are breeding hybrids will get you ostracised and never spoken to again.

We try to in ANGFA. Try standing up at an ANGFA meeting and declaring that you are crossing two species of Rainbow or different catchments and see how long you last. It is not done.

Yes you are right there is no law that says we have to, but standards and ethics come into play with Native fish. A lot of creek rehabilitation groups think that they can stock a rehabilitated creek with any old Crimson spotted rainbows that they got from a fish farm. What they don't know is that there is a distinct genetic difference between Crimsons north of the Brisbane river and south of the Brisbane River. Hell there is even a significant difference genetically between for example Bulimba Catchment and Oxley creek catchment. Our natives have enough to contend with with the ferals, pollution and habitat loss to also have to be screwed up genetically by cross bred fish getting into the waterways. Which in anycase captive natives should never be released into the environment regardless of their purity or if they are captive bred or wild caught. Once it has been in a captive setting the risks of pathogens reaching the wild populations is too high to risk.

So yeah hardcore rainbow people take a very dim view of these sorts of things.

I think the comments so far have been a bit too much in the negative side. Perhaps people still misunderstand what you are trying to do? If I understand you correctly the main aim of your project is to provide some activities for your members, you just don't want to have to fully subsidise it and ideally make a bit of money that can be reinvested in this and other projects?

I think that goal can be achieved.

You said you had electricity largely covered through other project income? That will take care of most of the ongoing cost. A lot of the materials you may be able to get through donations. Some of the pet shops may be willing to help here or maybe some of the clubs here in Brisbane (QCG, ANGFA, etc.). The clubs would also be an excellent source of knowledge and maybe some of the member would be happy to help out personally.

In terms of fish, any that are fairly hardy and do not require too much maintenance would be a good start. A few of the livebearers would work. They are easy to breed, don't really require heating (they survive in ponds and streams here), and they always sell, even if you don't get much per fish...

Shoot me a pm and I can get you in contact with some people who may be able to help.

We try to in ANGFA. Try standing up at an ANGFA meeting and declaring that you are crossing two species of Rainbow or different catchments and see how long you last. It is not done.

Hahaha yeah I would last all of 2mins in one of those meetings before being marched out with a crowd holding pitch forks (I wouldn't care either)

Best I do my breeding at home in secret and not worry what others think about me

Edited by puncy

Hey [MENTION=4633]regani[/MENTION] I read the first post differently. They are looking for an activity to help fund the running costs of the Shed, specifically rates and electricity. That's partially why I have come across as some what negative (honestly was not my intention). So to help pay the leccy bill they want to engage in an activity that potentially uses a lot of electricity (and water - another cost).

In a further post Shed100 mentioned they would be happy with a net profit of $3000 per annum (assuming to put this towards the running costs of the shed).

As for live bearers, do run of the mill fancy guppies, mollies and platies require heating. I have been told by Jodi-Lea that the newer fancy endlers and guppies do need heating. These are fish bred in Thailand where our summer is like their winter.

Hahaha yeah I would last all of 2mins in one of those meetings before being marched out with a crowd holding pitch forks (I wouldn't care either)

Best I do my breeding at home in secret and not worry what others think about me

So you crossbreed Rainbows ?

Does anyone crossbreed rainbows to create new colour morphs?

As grubby mentioned they are fighting words in native circles, most people with rainbows don't even mix locality variants let alone different catchments and colours.

Cheers mick

Something that's kinda down the same avenue as fish breeding/keeping would Aquaponics, you could cheaply put a whole system together with a few IBC's, pvc piping and pumps.

You wouldnt be breeding the fish just growing them up basically, feed lots so they produce lots of nutrients for the veggies/plants, can sell off the veggies and fish (once there too big) for extra income. If it takes off then you could possibly become a mini local market in your area for fresh fish and veggies.

Everyone would gain knowledge on how to keep fish and grow food at the same time.

Cam

Edited by Sephiroth

So you crossbreed Rainbows ?

Hahahahaha I tried a mop in my big tank which has about 6 different species in it. I have about 25 fry growing in a tank from that mop. I'm a huge breeder and am going to stifle the gene pool.

They are starting to show some colour and I'm looking forward to seeing what Has been created.

But calm your tits, they are not going to be sold and are only going to be seen in my big tank (I'm sure you will still have a cry about that)

I'm genuinely surprised no has been cross breeding location variants and line breeding colour morphs.

I fully understand about the need for species and location variant preservation, both within the hobby and for species maintainence. But as we have seen with discus, bettas, guppies, endlers, blue rams, apistogramma and I'm sure there are many more, there is a place in the hobby for both wild and fancy types.

p.s. Genuinely not trolling just a question/observation.

Does anyone crossbreed rainbows to create new colour morphs?

No one that talks about it or admits to it !

I was selecting out a single particular colour morph of the Snapper ck Rhads and the flack I copped was insane .

That is breeding fish from a single school within a location - no hybrids - not from different location - just choosing to breed only the ones that were the colour morph I wanted ! Instead if just chucking a random selection in a pond and hoping for the best .

These guys come on hard and strong , they are totally inflexible and their belief is the only acceptable one .

Their club their rules !

That said , if you are not interested in the club or show scenes you are free to do what you want , you will cop flack ! but there is little they can do about it .

Once you put them in a tank they are ornamental fish not wild fish anymore and are not legally allowed to be put back into the wild . So long as you are not selling them as something they are not and they are not at risk of entering the wild - What you breed in your fishroom is your business not mine !

Hahahahaha I tried a mop in my big tank which has about 6 different species in it. I have about 25 fry growing in a tank from that mop. I'm a huge breeder and am going to stifle the gene pool.

They are starting to show some colour and I'm looking forward to seeing what Has been created.

But calm your tits, they are not going to be sold and are only going to be seen in my big tank (I'm sure you will still have a cry about that)

Now I believe aquaponics is a great idea.

There is a market for local fish such as Saratoga, barramundi, Coal Grunters, spangled Perch, and a few other species.

If you can source them as fingerlings, you could grow them out in large indoor tubs/ponds and have aquaponic beds above them growing veg.

I'm genuinely surprised no has been cross breeding location variants and line breeding colour morphs.

I fully understand about the need for species and location variant preservation, both within the hobby and for species maintainence. But as we have seen with discus, bettas, guppies, endlers, blue rams, apistogramma and I'm sure there are many more, there is a place in the hobby for both wild and fancy types.

p.s. Genuinely not trolling just a question/observation.

I think what is important here is that unlike discus, mbuna, guppies etc is this. These fish are our native fauna, find in our creeks they are a natural asset for all Australians and are just as important as platypus, Kangaroos, Koalas, rare native birds and any other living creature. There existence transcends our desire for keeping them in the hobby, they have a right to be protected and have their habitat and genetic integrity kept intact. A lot of people want to witness these fish in the wild as they are. The same way that people want to protect the Dingo from Cross breeding with feral dogs.

If you are going to cross breed, fine. Just don't pass on the offspring unless you know they are mules and never ever let them go in the waterways. That is all I am going to say on the subject. Sermon over. Its a free country, but there are a lot of D!ckheads inhabiting it.

No I don't care what you do. Your tank your fish. Just good to know.

Hey [MENTION=4633]regani[/MENTION]

In a further post Shed100 mentioned they would be happy with a net profit of $3000 per annum (assuming to put this towards the running costs of the shed).

Ah, didn't see the bit about making thousands of dollars per year, that is quite a bit more difficult. Most of the easy-to-breed fish don't sell for that much. To cover costs and make $3000 a year you'd have to sell *at least* 1500 fish per year, I reckon. Less of course for more expensive fish, but there is also a smaller market for those...

Crossbreeding. aka Evolution.

Has been going on for millenia. We all came from Africa, we all looked similar - then we spent thousands of years developing a certain look or colouring in different locations, and then we all started mixing and ...well... here we are D

I'm no expert in big breeding setups but let's just say you start off smallish

You grab 6 x 2FT tanks at a cheap price (or even ask on Facebook pages for 2Ft tanks for free for the men's shed) potential cost $0 - $150

Steel/wood rack - cost $0 as the men's shed guys could make it from what they have spare.

A bigger display tank for housing the males and females of the species you wish to breed, could also be asked to be donated or easy to find on Facebook or gumtree - potential cost $150

Air pump and sponge filters for 2ft tanks - $????

Food can be custom made for rainbowfish (vegetables and such) and housed in a freezer at someones house - $ cheap as to make

Heaters - in qld maybe only need them in winter.

Lights - a few old 2ft fluros for the fry tanks (don't need anything fancy)

Fish to start out with? - grab a few breeding mops of popular species and start from fry ( could be a more rewarding experience)

Am I on the right track

but you do need a person who had some sort of knowledge of keeping fish, if you don't have that you may as well scrap the project straight away.

edit: forgot to add, you could always hit up some online aquarium shops for the air pumps in exchange for promoting their shop at your shed???

Thanks Puncy yes you are on the right track. We need a fish breeding Guru and what we choose as a pilot project might depend on what we can scrounge

Can you please direct me to the ins and outs of rainbow everything.

If it goes ahead I expect live food to be a big % of business activities so I am interested in freshwater prawns they seem to have novelty value at least and a bigger market as live foodand of course a worm farm and anything we find that sells and it suits us.

Growing fish could be a good one for our quiet room/clean room and be a a good intro for our men to fish breeding.

I am intrigued by Betta and in particular the difference in breeding philosophy OS where they accept losses as culling weak animals and the do not offer live food as another culling and easy feeding alternative. We do have enough perspex to make Betta breeding tank or 3. So our cost would be a couple of breeding pair.

Every thing is still flexible but catching our own natives might appeal to our men, is there a permit needed.

Thanks Grubby we have members who live in Forest Lake err not the actual lake just the Suburb maybe you could help us out when we get closer to doing something.

I have to bone up on Rainbows.