Andrew1234

can all Australian freshwater species be removed from the wild without a licence?

Yes but not legally... certain species such as the aussie lungfish can only be collected from the wild with a permit and only for educational or research purposes. As for most other fish you can as long as you follow size and bag limits, you should research the individual fish species before you decide to take it home.

NO...............Honey blue eyes...............illegal to take honey blue eyes from the wild. National parks are also off limits for any species.

In NSW you will need to purchase a fishing permit.

No noxious fish species is allowed to be taken and no noxious fish species is allowed to be returned to the water. They must be destroyed. Preferably by being buried away from the creek bank.

Edited by TED

I am asking as i wish to take an audit of native fish species around my local area for a project, along with this i want to replicate the natural environment of the fish i collect for a showcase aquarium. It is a 5 foot tank any ideas on good stockings from fish native to south east queensland?

I am asking as i wish to take an audit of native fish species around my local area for a project, along with this i want to replicate the natural environment of the fish i collect for a showcase aquarium. It is a 5 foot tank any ideas on good stockings from fish native to south east queensland?

I think the issue is good luck finding native fish in your local waterways around Brisbane.

No, I havnt collected anything from the wild for a while now, but look for clear running creeks. The rainbows hang in schools and move up and down the creeks so if you dont find any in a particular section dont give up straight away. Gudgeons will be found in slower wider sections of a creek. As for the other fish, you might have to ask other people as I only really ever chased rainbows, pacific blue eyes and gudgeons.

Im not familiar with the creeks on the northside either.

Make sure you have airaters with you as well, as not many will survive the trip with out them.

In all seriousness you would be better of going to buy your natives from a shop.

The survival rate of fish taken from the wild is low unless you know what your doing, especially with the rainbows and pacific blue eyes. The gudgeons are usually fine.

Big fish dont always travel well either.

really? ill give the gudgeons and shrimp a shot, idk about the eels though the tank i am planning to keep them in doesnt have a hood. lol

[MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION]

Edited by Andrew1234

you can take 1 toga as long as you adhere to the min size limit of 50 cm but to catch one of them you will need a stocked impoundment fishing licence .Dont think a 50 cm wc toga would like life in a glass box tho , thats if it survives the trip home cos i dont think you will have the large aerated holding tank to get it home then the stress on the fish is another story

EDIT........MOST IF NOT ALL TOGA IN SEQ COME FROM DAMS