gingerbeer

Cheap fish are killing this hobby

Sorry I have not been on much - Telstra has been fixing the problem for some time now.......

I think our hobby has a problem. Our desire for cheap fish.

Downwards pressure on price means the seller has to source fish cheaper to meet the demand. The end result is we get the bottom of the barrel fish. We do not get the best, we get at best the mediocre.

I have heard people say that Asian fish are not good quality. However when I have been in Asia I have seen great fish. Maybe our desire for cheap means we do not get the quality fish sent here.

If goes further to the commercial breeder. The breeder to make a dollar when downwards pressure is on may not be culling as he would desire. He needs to raise enough dollars to cover his cost of raising the fry. This may not affect the hobbyist, who is not as concerned about profit, but does those who depend on the $$$$$

There are places you can get quality at a great price, but do not expect it to be cheap! Remember you do get what you pay for!

There is also the problem of the wholesalers and retailers buying the cheapest fish possible then selling for top price .

I was at a "Reputable and popular " retail store the other day and saw several tanks with deformed fish in them still for sale at a pretty high price . The fish were definitely locally bred as they are not on the import list !

I have even become wary of buying fish from Aquarium shops - I would prefer to buy from a breeder ! ( over the years I have just been caught with bad quality fish - NONE of them have been cheap fish )

I recently lost 2/3 of my fish because of fish I bought at auction they were not cheap either - and they were from a breeder I know .

So high price does not guarantee good fish .

I have some very good fish that were cheap $1 each feeders ( swordtails ) fit healthy regularly produce offspring ( then hunt them down and eat them )

I had them in a planted tank for a while but replaced them with Rainbows now they just live their lives out in an odds'n'sods tank .

The point of this is Just because they are buying the fish cheap , does not mean they are selling them cheap .

Capitalism 101 as the yanks would call it !

Two words spring to mind, profit and facebook. (greed and inexperience).

Not enough people take the time to research the fish they keep and breed and from what I have heard everyone on facebook is an expert, even though they only have 2 minutes worth of experience in the industry.

Some people just dont understand the difference between a $5 peacock bought from a store, and a $15 peacock bought of a experienced breeder, so education is also lacking.

Head shape, body shape, fin shape and color should all be taken into consideration when buying a fish, but sadly today its all about the cash.

Profit or cheap fish seems to trump quality these days.

Two words spring to mind, profit and facebook. (greed and inexperience).

Not enough people take the time to research the fish they keep and breed and from what I have heard everyone on facebook is an expert, even though they only have 2 minutes worth of experience in the industry.

Some people just dont understand the difference between a $5 peacock bought from a store, and a $15 peacock bought of a experienced breeder, so education is also lacking.

Head shape, body shape, fin shape and color should all be taken into consideration when buying a fish, but sadly today its all about the cash.

Profit or cheap fish seems to trump quality these days.

I did farcebook for about a week - a large quantity of knowitall greedy fastbuck sellers with a few good honest people thrown in .

Too many of the former and not enough of the latter - and that is why I have not followed up with farcebook -

I like good old fashioned clubs with ( god forbid ) actual face to face interaction - without the internet as a buffer .

I know that it would be difficult for keyboard cowboys ( and girls ) cause people could see that they are not 10ft tall and bullet proof .

And Dumbtree is such a good place to buy fish too - NOT !

Imagine having one of them old fashioned small owner-operated LFS in your neighbourhood where the owner is partly in it to make a living and partly in it to enjoy or further his/her hobby? These shops once existed. Then people abandoned them to purchase online or from larger commercial shops, to save a few dollars. The writing was on the wall years and years ago.

The small number of owner/operator hobbyist shops that remain……. spend a percentage of your hobby coins at them. Assuming they are honest about what they sell and don't buy/sell crap fish.

Its not all doom and gloom though. We have great shops still, and we have great breeders still.

There will always be a market for cheap, cheaper.... cheapest fish. And its good its there for when you need to offload lots of stock quickly.

Going to a lfs to get fish, is like going to a restaurant for a meal. Yes you pay more, but its the experience and the ability to browse and choose.

Sometimes you go fast food instead. It rarely looks like the picture you see before you buy.... and it doesn't always feel like the right choice an hour later.

But, there is a market for cheap fast food, and there is a market for cheap fish.

Don't rush into fish is my advice.

Enjoy the chase.

Finding the fish, is usually as much fun as having the fish.

:)

Don

Imagine having one of them old fashioned small owner-operated LFS in your neighbourhood where the owner is partly in it to make a living and partly in it to enjoy or further his/her hobby? These shops once existed. Then people abandoned them to purchase online or from larger commercial shops, to save a few dollars. The writing was on the wall years and years ago.

The small number of owner/operator hobbyist shops that remain……. spend a percentage of your hobby coins at them. Assuming they are honest about what they sell and don't buy/sell crap fish.

We used to have one of them at Redcliffe owned by Paul ( do not know his last name )

Lots of Cichlids - Nice guy , good prices , not my kind of fish though ( he liked big cranky Americans ) .

Was still sad to see the shop go !

What can you do? Who make up the majority of LFS sales, hobbyists or your average family with a fish tank for the kids?

Only way the importers change the quality of fish they purchase is if they receive pressure from with in the industry.

Its not all doom and gloom though. We have great shops still, and we have great breeders still.

There will always be a market for cheap, cheaper.... cheapest fish. And its good its there for when you need to offload lots of stock quickly.

Going to a lfs to get fish, is like going to a restaurant for a meal. Yes you pay more, but its the experience and the ability to browse and choose.

Sometimes you go fast food instead. It rarely looks like the picture you see before you buy.... and it doesn't always feel like the right choice an hour later.

But, there is a market for cheap fast food, and there is a market for cheap fish.

Don't rush into fish is my advice.

Enjoy the chase.

Finding the fish, is usually as much fun as having the fish.

:)

Don

Great analogy.

Fish are expensive in Australia compared to other countries. Our hobby is much smaller than in other counties (even on a per capita basis.) I know its not the case, but one could try to argue that expensive fish are killing our hobby.

Fish are expensive in Australia compared to other countries. Our hobby is much smaller than in other counties (even on a per capita basis.) I know its not the case, but one could try to argue that expensive fish are killing our hobby.

As are the costs of keeping them and breeding them ( power bill anybody)

We are a small market. That means we are never going to be as cheap as the rest of the world.

QLD also punishes itself compared to NSW. I love rams. The best rams I saw in a store were in NSW (10+ years age), and cost more than any ram I have seen here. Our belief that Rams should cost under $20 means that we do not get the good rams.

As are the costs of keeping them and breeding them ( power bill anybody)

As much as we like to whinge about it our electricity costs are in the same ballpark as most other developed countries so you cant even blame it on that. Personally I think it is more to do with lifestyle and leisure interests in Australia vs other countries.

As much as we like to whinge about it our electricity costs are in the same ballpark as most other developed countries so you cant even blame it on that. Personally I think it is more to do with lifestyle and leisure interests in Australia vs other countries.

True but penalty rates on Sundays makes wages close to $50 an hour - where else in the world would be that expense.

True but penalty rates on Sundays makes wages close to $50 an hour - where else in the world would be that expense.

Australia - top of the charts on per capita income. How can we not afford a hobby? Actually, never mind, just remembered MTS and addiction hahah.

That depends on the industry !

There are quite a few ( hospitality , cleaners , Service station attendants to name a couple ) that do not .

Bulk of the market is always going to be for cheap "pretty" fish nothing can ever be done about that, the best hobbiests can do is try to keep and preserve what they like. Now I'm off to the lab to hybridise a new mutant Frankenstein fish that will become the new glamor designer fish

I don't agree with the cost of power thing... we should have the cheapest Pwr in the world... its just greed.

When the Aussie dollar was US$ at $1.12, the Asian suppliers put the price up... now that has fall by a good 30%, their price is still the same to buy. That has to be absorbed otherwise all fish would be 30-40% dearer then a couple of years ago.

I'd work for $30 c.i.h... ;)

I don't agree with the cost of power thing... we should have the cheapest Pwr in the world... its just greed.

I have a totally uneducated guess, and I don't doubt we are getting ripped to some degree, but....

When we build infrastructure, electricity etc we have an extremely low population density to spread the costs over, if this wasn't they case could things be different?

We are a huge country with very little population, when we import fish or anything really our buying power is up to crap cause we don't require/buy as much as other countries. (let's not also forget we are pretty far from the rest of the world which increases shipping costs.)

Maybe we need ISO or Australian standards for fish quality lol, I can see the little stamps on a colony of electric yellows now.

Edited by danfishy84

Cheap fish are not killing the aquarium hobby. Cheap fish may be killing the "purist fish keeper" but the aquarium hobby would continue on even if all fish were all free. I'm talking about all those everyday people who buy a tank and a light and a filter and fish food. Those are the real customers that allow shops to open and employee staff. Fish keeping is a multi billion dollar industry just behind dogs and cats.

The purist fish keeper can source quality stock or breed up their own quality stock if they know what they want. Perhaps we "quality fish keepers" have been far too spoilt in the past. Perhaps fish keepers might value quality stock when it's harder to find. Or perhaps people will accept so called lower grade or deformed fish instead. It's an ever changing world. The exorbitant prices people are willing to pay for non - importable fish will not go away.