steve6610

ponds and aquaponics set ups and chat

post up photos of your set ups,

Thanks [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION], good place for people like myself to check out other people's ponds set up outside and what they are keeping in regards to fish and plants, also if they are running filters or not, air pumps, what they have used as a pond, either lined, bathtubs, washing troughs, swimming pools, good stuff.

Not currently in use, the spa got to 40 degrees and the resulting lack of oxygen killed the adult rainbows. I am now running two sponge filters off a separate pump.

I had sweet potato growing in the spa but the lack of fish seen it die off.

They will all be full in around a month as the weather cools.

Cheers mick

_20160216_175526_zpslm1omaft.jpg

Looking at filling this tub with Ambulua, Vallisneria, Water Lilies and maybe Duck Weed, thoughts?

Also, will more than likely run a solar powered pump or air line into the tub as well to break the surface.

Will probably have my 3 Desert Gobies in here, so will put a couple PVC pipes in for them, when the Desert Rainbows come up, will probably keep a handful in as well.

Where I'm thinking the tank will be won't get direct sun light, but will still get some light though, just not direct, is this OK?

Was going to put a couple pieces of Malaysian driftwood in but don't think I will though.

Will also get a piece of steel mesh or something cut to shape to cover the tub also, to keep fish jumping out, but also dragon flies and birds getting in.

Not sure what else to put in here, Dwarf Popyrus? Thalia? Something easy to get a hold of.

Will probably do the same with the other tub I will be getting also.

I'd prefer to let the tub get morning sunlight but try to have it covered from late morning to late afternoon.

Plants seem to be O.K. but you might have the duckweed covering the tank quickly until you get the rainbows in.

Hi [MENTION=15973]GotCrabs[/MENTION],

If it was a REAL billabong, I would be keeping monster Murray Cod, along with Golden & Silver Perch :behindsofa:

I'm very fond of Silver Perch, as I had a pair in a tiny, deep front-yard pond that stayed cold as it was in the shade of the house (southern side).

This pond from 1998 was more in line with [MENTION=17413]Shed100[/MENTION] 's view of what a pond should be :dance:

Here 'tis

post-5372-14711634892843_thumb.jpg

All these ponds are aerated except for the community pond at the bottom which has a filter/powerhead running the waterfall

IMG_3436_zpszo3cmmgo.jpg

Honey Blue eye - Pseudomugil mellis, the fry thrive in the green water

IMG_3437_zpsrn8zblbb.jpg

Honey Blue eye - Pseudomugil mellis broodstock, when fry appear they are transferred to the 1st pond to grow out

IMG_3438_zps5ghs0jdn.jpg

Pacific Blue eye - Pseudomugil signifer

IMG_3440_zpspabd4isn.jpg

Ornate Rainbowfish - Rhadinocentrus ornatus - Noosa River/Lake Cootharaba

IMG_3442_zpsuqwvxmkp.jpg

Ornate Rainbowfish - Rhadinocentrus ornatus - Teewah Creek

IMG_3441_zpsqti0grk7.jpg

Community Pond All native fish

Edited by rainbowrunner

OK all of these ponds are at my parents place. All ponds are un aerated except one. The plant you see is a Red Stemmed Thalia.

1. Small bowl pond with Cardell River Pseudomugil Gertrudae (Spotted Blueyes). Breeding.

post-3726-14711634900257_thumb.jpg

2. Small bowl pond. Lennox Heads Rhads. Breeding like crazy.

post-3726-14711634900422_thumb.jpg

3.Small bowl pond with M. Boesmani fry/growing out.

post-3726-1471163490068_thumb.jpg

4. Bathtub in green house with Bribe Island Rhads. Hopefully breeding, nothing all summer.

post-3726-14711634900864_thumb.jpg

Edited by grubby

Bosemanni breeding pond. Aerated.

post-3726-14711634901289_thumb.jpg

New tub not sure to use as a Rhad Breeder or Boesmani Grow out.

post-3726-1471163490147_thumb.jpg

All of these are at my parents place. At my place I have a water garden bowl with Seary Creeks rhads in it. A Black Bunnings bin with Honey Blue eyes, another bowl with Empires and Florida Flag fish. I have a neighbour with a massive filtered pond that has a breeding population of my Teewah Creek rhads. Also at a mates house I have a bathtub pond with Parkinsoni breeding in it.

Edited by grubby

Well here is my set up so far, just need to seal the drainage hole and put the solar aerator in, once that's all good and there are no leaks I'll get plants and fish, feedback all welcome, cheers.

post-15973-14711634903342_thumb.jpg

hey gotcrabs, do you know where i could find native rainbowfish sellers in brisbane?

No idea mate, I'm in South Australia, a few other members here would know though, either through stores, breeders or to get your own from locally in creeks or what not.

thanks, i would get mine from my local creek, it's just that my local creek is completely overrun with swordtails- however you can catch nice empire gudgeons.

Nice! Grab a handful of Empire Gudgeons man, we don't get them down here sadly, have to buy them from online and get them sent, only Rainbows we have down here are the Murray River Rainbow and Desert Rainbow, you people up north in Qld are spoilt for choices, gives me the ****s, haha.

@rainbowrunner, @grubby, [MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] are all people in the know.