Shed100

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/ornamental-fish

The same figure is on the Commonwealth Govt website https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/exotics/exotic-fish-trade

The ornamental fish industry in Australia — which includes traders, fish breeders, retail outlets and the hobby industry — is estimated to be worth $350 million a year.

Aquarium fish make great pets, but if they are released into the wild they can pose a serious threat to Australia's aquatic biodiversity.

I thought $350M might have been too high and the net talks about 20M fish imports per year. There must be some big importers cause that is about 400,000 fish per week = 100 importers averaging 4000 fish per week.

So is that just sales of fish? or does that include dry goods as well?

If the population of Aus is 20 million, that's a spend of $17.50 per person. Now I know I spent in excess of $6k on fish and dry goods last year. So that's at least 342 people who didn't need to spend a cent on fish.

I thought $350M might have been too high and the net talks about 20M fish imports per year. There must be some big importers cause that is about 400,000 fish per week = 100 importers averaging 4000 fish per week.

There are some people here who work for importers. I have spoken to people who have walked through importers sales rooms. They have spoken of 2000 - 3000 bettas to select from. Suddenly 4000 fish isn't a big number.

4000 fish in a single shipment is far from a large shipment for a wholesaler .

There are I believe still a few small "boutique" importers around that would do less , but they are not mainstream - (Jodie-Lee anybody ) Edit - More like Down stream ;)

add dry goods and fixtures it is not a small industry .

Admittedly I have a pretty bad case of what tech den calls MTS but I have spent $3k on LED lights in the last year or so , and will probably spend the same or more in the next year on leds .so it adds up pretty fast

Edited by pony-tail

Real figure is far higher - probably double that in the 'gumtree' market alone. Only a matter of time before the ATO clamps down on this industry - long overdue really...

Vewwy interethting.

Especially, the money spent on LEDs. Is it about UV or is it about no UV. My knowledge of LEDs is basic (turn the switch and they light up) we must be talking specialty illumination one way or another.

The other stuff is interesting too, the stats are rubbery when it comes to households. People have one dog or maybe 2 dogs and a cat but fish keepers, of course can have a lot more numbers of fish. But the pet hierarchy is dogs then cats and either birds or fish next. If we include feeding wild birds then fish are at #4.

As a matter of interest this is the bird feeder kit (assemble and paint by kids) and the wooden block will be a bird seed block the seed block has the same holes as the wooden block but they do not become obvious in the photo. Anyway is is just an example of what we can do, I had to develop a non toxic water resistant glue but I think I have cracked it.

post-17413-14711634892052_thumb.jpg

Tonight I put the proposal for our shed to adopt a business approach to selling shed products as a niche business and if nothing better bobs up my suggestion will be

Urban Wildlife and Pet Supplies and Fish Breeders Coop (we are a not for profit corporation not a cooperative but I can't find another word to describe it)

post-17413-14711634891512_thumb.jpg

post-17413-14711634891863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shed100