Shed100

underground filters in ponds or tanks

30 + years ago under gravel filters were popular, are they still being used?

The breeders I came across did not use filters in their breeding tanks just an air stone and in the shop situation we only used air stones and no filters.

I see the shops selling all sorts of 'scapes some that should not be underwater.

What is going on. Maybe aquariums aint aquariums anymore they are artworks.

Ponds it seems are still a bit traditional but some are opportunistic, I always wondered about a windmill to run a bucket ferris wheel pump to lift and aerate water to a top level pond that overflows back down to the bottom pond - sort of movement action all the time the breeze blows.

The other idea that caught my attention is the oriental idea of a garden quiet seat, from where you can only see the tranquil things and not the ugly stuff some even have a portal through which you can see distant mountains or a town hall clock. add in some cascading ponds and you would really have something special.

I am banned from such enterprises my wife wants to keep things basic and lo-key.

Edited by Shed100

30 + years ago under gravel filters were popular, are they still being used?

I am banned from such enterprises my wife wants to keep things basic and lo-key.

I haven't seen an Under Gravel Filter since the 1990's, also you rarely see those plastic corner filters that you used to put dacron and gravel in. When I did my first fish only marine tank in 1984, under gravel was the norm.

I think they have been killed off by good sponge filters and china's ability to produce a power head/box/sponge combo cheaply. Canister filters are a lot cheaper than they used to be too. IF you told the teenage version of myself in the mid 80's that one day I would own 4 Eheim canister filters and that they are all currently sitting in my fish cupboard gathering dust, I wouldn't have believed it. I couldn't afford a canister till I was in my 20's and had a well paying job ( I still own that canister by the way.)

Help me out here, the first real filter I owned was an american thing that hung on the side of the tank, it was like an Aquaclear but it had two syphons going into a plastic box which was full of filter media and then it pumped the water back into the tank via a pipe. The thing was smokey grey and came in two sizes. The more upmarket version had a syphon that started by jiggling the pipe, the cheap version had a funny piece of plastic you blocked the end with after you loaded it with water

The company also made a sort of water wheel version as well. They used to be everywhere, it was a major company that always advertised in TFH in the 80's. Might have been a company called Marine Land or something. If I could find my old 1980s TFH I could find it in an instant, but alas they are nowhere to be found either. Anyway it has been bugging me for weeks now, trying to remember .

Also what is it with wives and being anti-water feature? Mine only allows me the odd chinese bowl with plants and fish. No water features or ponds for me.

[MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION] ive still got a tank running undergravel filter , just pulled another out that had a powerhead on the riser, the 2 fter with the u g filter is probably the most stable tank ive got , but its not heavily stocked tho