175Myles

Corydoras swimming to top and breathing air?

So I bought some Peppered Cory's yesterday and put them in my 60L tank and they keep swimming to the top of the tank, would this be due to lack of oxygen in the water?

Live plants and silk plants.

Other fish in the tank are 1 fighter and 9 Tetras and what seems to be only 1 cherry shrimp.

Ok cool, I had a bunch of Corydoras Similis a few years ago that were breeding like crazy and I not once ever saw them dart to the surface like these guys, I was worried that I haven't enough oxygen cruising through the water.

Also I might change the song on the video, I'm not really feeling it.

Edited by 175Myles

Check temperature and ammonia levels. Do a check to make sure no deodorizer aerosol or bug spray has been used in immediate area. Double check any top up water was adequately dechlorinated. Change song to something that is more likely to get in your head for days straight.

Might be nothing..... but worth checking it out.

Don.

Check temperature and ammonia levels. Do a check to make sure no deodorizer aerosol or bug spray has been used in immediate area. Double check any top up water was adequately dechlorinated.

Might be nothing..... but worth checking it out.

Don.

Tank is room temp, so 20-26c all the time, my room stays cool without an air con.

Ammonia doesn't change colour on my kit, so I am assuming it's very low.

The tank is beside my bed, about 3 meters from where I use spray deodorant (once a week usually, I just shower if I'm not in a rush) and no bug spray is ever used freely or near it.

The water I use is straight out of a rain water tank with a PH roughly 6.3-6.7.

No loud speakers near.

Tank however is low light, maybe they want some more? I also have installed a K1 media tumbler since this video.

Does the tank have a lid? If not, do yourself a favor and only use sprays in the bathroom.

From what I saw on video, it didn't seem like a stressed fish. However, if it's out of the ordinary for your fish I'd do a water change or gravel vac just to be on the safe side. :)

Cordydoras don't like high nitrate levels.

Could be nothing...could be your Cory giving you a hint. :)

Edited by Netto14
Spell/auto correct

I don't think it would be high as the gravel was only put in 2 days before the fish were introduced, all the water was fresh from the rain water tank as well, the only things carried from the old tank were 3 of the big rocks, live plants + fake ones and the filter. Maybe the water was too clean for them?

I have an Indian almond leaf and a K1 tumbler in there now and they seem to be a little bit more chilled out.

Dont stress, as everyone previously mentioned, they are just up there to get a gulp of fresh air.

Be best to have a lid to prevent them from overcalculating their speeds and darting out of tank. As a precaution of but upto you. :)