So about 2 weeks ago I moved a few females from my display into a couple of smaller tanks I set up under the house (much to my wife's dismay).

Anyway, I was just doing a water change on one of the tanks and I noticed a single tiny fry hiding under a polly pipe.

I have no idea what it is because I had no idea that any of the girls were holding when I moved them, but I couldn't just leave it to be eaten (it's my first baby! Haha).

So I dug a floating tank out of my cupboard of stuff and separated it from the two adults in the tank, I also ran an air tube into the top of the fry tank to give the little guy some air.

I know my chances are slim, but what do you guys recommend I do to keep the litlle guy alive?

It's about a cm long and the possible mothers are an ob zebra, a couple of afra cobue, an Auratus or a red empress. I guess the possible fathers are everything in the display tank.

Thanks for reading.

post-11735-14711634896785_thumb.jpg

post-11735-14711634896942_thumb.jpg

post-11735-1471163489709_thumb.jpg

post-11735-1471163489722_thumb.jpg

post-11735-14711634897394_thumb.jpg

It should survive just fine in the tank you have it in. Just make sure you don't overfeed; keep the tank clean and make sure the surface temp doesn't get too hot.

Thanks [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] I will leave the light off during the day to keep the surface temp down and keep doing regular water changes.

What should I be feeding the little guy?

Crushed up regular food?

Obviously I have zero experience raising fry.

Thanks

Haydn

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] I will leave the light off during the day to keep the surface temp down and keep doing regular water changes.

What should I be feeding the little guy?

Crushed up regular food?

Obviously I have zero experience raising fry.

Thanks

Haydn

Any small food that breaks up easily in the water is fine. Flake food or a small pellet that goes soft is fine. If you use a 'hard' pellet that doesn't soften probably best to get something else. With one baby it will be easy to overfeed so just be careful with that. Send me a pm if you need any help. Cheers

When I checked the tank this morning I counted 5 babies, I removed tge red empress from the tank so now it is just the mum and fry.

I rounded up all fry in the fliat tank but 2 of them are hudinis and escaped.

I also built a cube from egg crate to give them somewhere to escape to if more appear.

Is it ok to leave mum in there, I'm not sure if she has finished spitting them out yet.

Cheers

I always remove fry from the female. Up to you really what you prefer - if left she may eat them. Guess it depends too on how many crossed fry you want to raise - given they shouldn't be sold. Good luck!

I don't plan on selling them.

I think I know who the father is as there is one zebra in the tank who was showing of and shaking alot before I removed the females.

He was being a bit aggressive and seemed to be making a bit of a nest.

Can only see what they end up looking like I guess.

Possible dad :

post-11735-14711634901659_thumb.jpg