i'm having my front fountain cleaned up with the front yard landscaped. Any suggestion on what fish I can put there. currently it has platys and goldfish. Less maintenance the better, the fountain won't run as well as I cut the motor out so it'll be a stagnant water. should I stick with the goldfish and platys? Anyone selling so I can stock it. Will need it in two weeks time.

The base is about 5-ft in diameter so enough room for the fish to wonder.

Edited by litigator666

Rhads are pretty good in unaerated water. We went on a field trip to Redlands last Saturday hunting Rhads, you should have seen the water in the Scum encrusted stagnant billabong we were catching them in. The water was black, smelly, low in dissolved o2. But they were there alright, good as gold. 10 kilometres away we were finding them in the most pristine jungle stream that you could imagine.

They are very versatile, tough and hardy and perfect for a garden pond as they will smash mosquito wrigglers out of the grounds. Moreover as a local S/e QLD fish you can keep em outdoors all year round. They are attractive when viewed from above but camouflaged ,fast and streamlined enough to avoid most birds unlike a goldfish/liverbearers. They breed like crazy and the juvies are always high in demand with native Junkies. Take a look at what morphs are available and ask around for a breeding school. Or come to the next ANGFA meeting, should be plenty of Rhad Juvies around. Plenty of Rhad breeders here too.

I am sure Pete won't mind me borrowing one of his videos to illustrate the beauty of Rhads.

Ive seen swordtails on unheated ponds. I have 4 goldfish already in there and undecided to put some redtail goodied in there as they are used to clean, airated and filtered water - maybe if i can make them breed i may try it.

That fountain would look fantastic running. Have you thought about a solar powered pump or filter to move the water around?

Fish wise, I would probably go natives, but that's me. I do understand the attraction of brightly colored fish in a pond.

About 2 weeks ago I seen a pond full of orange swordtails. It looked fantastic, but it was covered with mesh to stop the birds from cleaning them out.