should I put a light fill of gravel aproximately 5ml in a discus breeding tank to reduce ph and acidity and also so I don't see all left over food and fish poo. its just that my ph is always through the roof

8)

steven

not sure what your hoping to do with the gravel that wont lower the ph and as far as hiding the food and poo yeah its good for that me personally ive found most of my fish prefer some gravel on the bottom even if its only a thin scattering

when u say Ph is going through the roof do you mean Up, this is unusual to raise the ph without some sort of mechanical assitance either a buffer like calcium carb or some chemicals. Left to themselves the water will normally head down in regards to ph. Check the ph of the water your putting into the tank, a lot of Brisabne water has a ph close to 7.5 or 8

as far as lowering ph of your water, theres a multitude of ways from spagnum moss in filters, chemicals or just aging some water with logs and plants to lower the ph Id recommend get you water checked as it comes out of the tap and go from there

peter

Steven. What you are keeping is hardly a beginners fish. You are going to have to find a discus book or 3 & do some research yourself on discus. There is plenty of good information out there on the net too. Find a breeder or supplier who has time to talk to you about discus keeping.

The questions I have seen you ask, I am sorry to say shouldn't be asked by someone who keeps discus. Do some research, or you lose them. They aren't that hard to keep, but you need to know what you are doing.

Just tips.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/index.php?sid=fb11ce30fc58b33eb842dace5fd70fe5

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/

Frenchy :D

I've done my homework and I have 15 pages of good info that I have got off the net and i've also read about 5 books on the subject

and cory fan I use to sponge filters in each tank and I have sizes: 2 2ftx 18x18 and one 4ftx15x18

Terribly sorry, but I am only going by the questions you ask, the statements you make & queries about buckets used to wash clothes in. :?

Most breeders if the tanks are for just breeding use bare bottoms. Easier to vac out the poo for a start.

Do you use a big drum for your water changes? Theres a tip, use one. You can fill one up, use an airstone & get your water quality right before you add to the discus. Brisbane water is a little on the hard side, gh & kh.

A well known Gold Coast discus breeder had trouble breeding his discus when his area of town went on Brissie water some years back. Gold Coasters are lucky, the water is softer than Brissies.

A good book that covers water chemistry is an Ad Konnings book called, Enjoying Cichlids.

If I had discus on Brissie water & wanted to soften the water. Using a drum is the safest way to go about doing water changes. Why?

That way you play around with the water chemistry, get it right & settled before you add it to the tank.

If you just add water to a tank via bucket & then ph down, the discus are are getting variances in water hardness each water change.

Plus if you add to much ph down, then you can get a crash in ph, which is bad.

If you don't add enough, then you have ph higher than usually. Then you have to add more etc etc etc.