GotCrabs

The Beginnings of a Native Bathtub Pond

OK, so here is the beginning stages of the Australian native fish and plant bathtub pond I'm setting up.

Scored a cast iron bathtub last week for nothing, someone was gutting an old local home and wanted the tub gone, so I jumped on it straight away as soon as I saw it, heavy as all ****, took 3 of us to lift it into the back of a mate's pick up.

I used some capping from a down pipe to block off the drainage of the tank and sealed it with Selleys 3 in 1 sealant, worked a treat.

Filled the tub up slightly to check for leaks, all good, so filled the tub up last night with tap water and added half a bottle of tap water conditioner to it.

Got all my plants this morning in the mail, as well as the 2.5 watt solar powered aerator which is running an absolute treat I must say, it's water proof as well so have it sitting on the fence in direct sun behind the bathtub.

Plants I got were Vallisneria nana, Myriophyllum papillosum, Marsilea drummondii, Marsilea Mutica, Myriophyllum Simulans, Nymphoides Spinulosperma.

I'm going to let the tub run fishless for a couple weeks to get a little population of mozzies and wrigglers going in there and then will either grab a small group of Murray River Rainbows or Desert Rainbows.

I have another bathtub coming that I scored for nothing, not sure what I'm going to keep in there fish wise, so suggestions would be good and will probably run with the same plants as I've mentioned above.

post-15973-14711634940789_thumb.jpg

post-15973-14711634940559_thumb.jpg

great little set up you have there, now you just need fish:)

Yeah cheers mate, just need to play around with the plants around the tank more, fit more in, bulk it all up.

Once the tank has sat for a couple weeks to age and get some natural food source in there I'll try and grab some Murray River or Desert Rainbows into it.

Yeah that looks nice should be rad once it's grows out abit

Yeah was outside earlier looking at it thinking 'just hurry up grow', haha, should look good all bulked up and flowing.

Wow it already looks awesome with the surrounding plants. I look forward to seeing more photos as it progresses.

Yeah should look great all grown and bulked up, with bits and pieces sticking out of the water.

Just got a call from Mum, she has scored two more cast iron bathtubs, Jesus... asked if I wanted them both, said I'd take one, should I take both? What would I keep in them? I have plans for the tub set up now for Murray River or Desert Rainbows, but have no idea what to put in the other two, the Desert Gobies are in the 109l tub in the garden doing well.

Take both, put flyscreen over one and make green water, sell it to forum members and cover your food bill.

Sell green water? What is green water again? I'm in South Australia also mate, express green water to Queensland, haha.

Fill your bathtub with chlorine free water, chuck in a hand full of soil or manure ( manure is better ) and some fish food, let it get the sun, keep feeding it. It will turn green and its the best thng for small fry. I'm sure SA fishos would pay for it too..