florix

NEW setup up questions 6x2x2 Planted tank

Hey all I am coming back from reef tanks and going to transform my 6x2x2 1000lt total volume system into a planted tank. The aim is a low maintenance setup...if that is ever true haha.

I have a sump that is set up like the picture below and I am thinking of filling it with bio balls and using the 2 FBF one for carbon and the other... well not sure. I will run some wool or filter pads before the bio balls. I however cannot suspennd them above the water due to the sump design. Is there another more suitable option?

Then it comes to fish list and I am after something vibrant i plan to have a coupple of discus in there and otocinclus for keeping things clean and some rummy nose. Now because of the discus I am thinking 6.5 PH and also safe tank mates. What comes to mind from you guys and gals?

In a heavy planted tank with lots of little hide outs will I be able to sustain shrimp enough to not lose them all to the discus but also keep up a natural food supply? or should I ditch the discus all together and go for something else?

SO I suppose what i need answers/help with is bio filtration advice and also fish list. I dont want an overly complicated filtration set up but just something that will work well. The fish list I am just after something that has beauty but will leave my plants alone. I am used to the beauty in marine fish so I would love to find something similar.

Many thanks for your advise

Oh and is there anything around to maintaine PH levels? been a long time since i did fresh :)

post-3669-14711634943117_thumb.jpg

Hi florix,

IMO discus are the prettiest FW, but are fairly difficult to keep. If it was me, I would be wanting my sump and tank to have been running with less fussy fishies for at least a couple of months before introducing them.

Love the sump, 300 Litres or so, 200 useable, so lots of media options. Many here will comment that bio balls are old technology. They do still work however, and with the volume you have in that sump - may be the best value for money. I just purchased 20kg of ceramic rings for my sump, some of our sponsors selling them for between 100 and 150 per large box.

Hopefully some discus types can help you with advice on pH levels...

If I do set up a planted discus tank some stage....first things first will be figuring the best substrate. Foundations make everything afterwards much easier - but has intial setup costs. P

Edited by IsaRich

Hi florix,

Those questions have been asked and answered many times in this thread. If you go back far enough

you'll find lots of useful info. Start with "low tech planted set up", posted 11.1.16

Edited by bluebelle

Thanks for the advise.

IsaRich I am aware they are old school tech but yes as my sump is large then I was thinking this could be the best way. I was looking into the Ceramic rings and other options but thought balls would still do the same for a fraction of the cost. I am aware of the cost in setting up and would love to hear your input on substrate. Coming from a reef setup I'm sure your cost factor wont surprise me haha

Bluebelle I will have a look through the forums dont worry :) but there is no harm in getting personal replies to questions at hand thats what makes this hobby friendly :beer:

kalo I don't drink my tap water so I will be using RO/DI water and adding nutrients back into it. any recommended brands??? But yes not breedinng just for 'show' only thing I would like to breed is food haha

I only use tap water in my discus tank, but I have a 100ltr drum to age the water in, and lower the PH while its aging,

once you reach the desired PH just keep it their till it stabilizes, which for me is about a week,

that way you don't have to add nutrients back in...

my discus haven't bred yet, but i have several babies from the angel fish in the same tank...

What lvl do you have your PH at? I have a 1000lt IBC to store water in. My tap water will make you sick... it is pretty bad. Bat colony and additives in it to kill anything makes your throat hurt. I filter everything. I dont mind adding it back in but I would love to hear the most efficient way to do so

My PH is stable at 6.2, but judging by your description of your water I dare say my tap water is a sight better lol

I wouldn't mind getting a bigger water storage at some point (such as an IBC) but unfortunately my money only gets me so much lol #alwaysbuyingmorefish

I did have two IBCs at one stage but now one. easy enough to find for $100. Its just the quality though. need ones used for food. Mine currently has NSW(natural salt water) in it. nobody wants so gonna have to dump it :(

I used to live in the goon bar and water there was good but not so much in cas