Sikacalling

Help! Canister filter problem

Hi everyone,

i have a nautilus 800 canister filter on a 3 foot tank which has decided to stop working. It will prime and will run for a few minutes then it will lose its head of water and stop circulating water. I've cleaned everything and the empaller continues to work it just stops pushing the water through...

anyone had had anything like this before or know what it will be?? It about 6 months old but I have no idea where the warranty might be and my cichlids have for the most part been without circulated water for two days (the air pump is still working so at least they have that 😓

Any my help would be much appreciated.

2 days without the canister being circulated? I believe the bacteria in it would now be non beneficial sludge, best to NOT let the canister contents pump into your aquarium till after it has been cleaned out.

But someone with a better understanding of the nitrogen cycle will hopefully post here and confirm or change this advice.

You have passed a brush through ALL of the hoses and fittings? No wee fish or plant material is blocking the hoses?

Any hairline cracks where the joints or hose connections are? Another possible reason is an air leak (or the opposite of a leak…air ingress?)

I couldnt see any but I did notice that when it stops working air bubble work their way back up the intake hose, I guess that means air is getting in some where, would that be right?

I couldnt see any but I did notice that when it stops working air bubble work their way back up the intake hose, I guess that means air is getting in some where, would that be right?

If you are confident you primed it correctly, ie minimal amount of air inside it when you assemble it, and then air can be seen afterwards, then yeah I guess you are correct.

Are you able to call up wheverever you purchased it from?

Hey Sikacalling,

Its not uncommon for canisters to trap air inside when you put them back together, if you can do so safety, try tilting it when running and see if you can hear air getting chopped up by the impeller, it could just be trapped air and to much around the impeller would stop it pushing water, worth a try anyway

okay so I think I worked it out, I pulled everything apart again and the O ring the connect of the solid intake pipes disintegrated, weather that was the problem or not I now have to get replacement o rings, where would over them??

Bunnings does cheap multipacks of o rings, best few buck ive spent have fixed many things with it. Also if u have a bearings and seals shop near you they could def help you out.