I love accidentally stumbling onto Aussie aquarium forums!

I'm very new to fish keeping, and I currently only have a betta + snails in a 28L tank with a whole bunch of plants, but I've been having so much fun! I'm moving to Bris in a few weeks and I'm already excited about finally being able to set up some more aquariums. I doubt I'll venture into anything more than just nano tanks for now, but we will see.

Does anyone have any tips on transporting a planted tank? The trip will likely be a good 5 hours.

For a 28 L tank, i would stop feeding the fish a few days before, wait as close as possible to the move, then drain as much water out as you can. Put the fish into a litre sized bottle (3/4 full for some air) and it should be fine for a few days. Cover plants and substrate with a layer of wet newspaper and keep out of heat. It will also be good for a few days. You can cover the tank top with cling wrap if you need to keep humidity but I wouldnt bother. Don't leave the filter full of water, just keep it damp/cool.

Edited by aquaholic99

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm looking forward to calling QLD home.

For a 28 L tank, i would stop feeding the fish a few days before, wait as close as possible to the move, then drain as much water out as you can. Put the fish into a litre sized bottle (3/4 full for some air) and it should be fine for a few days. Cover plants and substrate with a layer of wet newspaper and keep out of heat. It will also be good for a few days. You can cover the tank top with cling wrap if you need to keep humidity but I wouldnt bother. Don't leave the filter full of water, just keep it damp/cool.

Ohh the newspaper is a great idea, thanks! My tank has a hood so keeping humidity in shouldn't be a problem. I picked up a 2L watertight jar for my fish and a storage tub I can move my driftwood/anubias in.. I think I'm set!

Is it worth taking some of the original tank water with me? My water is very acidic/soft, but I don't know what Brisbane's tap water is like (most city water seems to be alkaline and hard ime though). I guess it's not too big of a deal with just a betta, considering how adaptable they are, I just want to make sure he copes with the changes.

Hello and welcome. :)

As already stated wet newspaper is good for transporting plants.

When I've moved house with my fish I used my esky (before I had Styrofoam fish boxes).

All the best with your move. :)

Hi Hellobird, just popping in here to say how Awesome it is to read about someone treating their Betta like a pet and learning all that is possible to reduce its stress. So Good to see. Sadly, many people seem to have hardened and forgotten that this is what us pet keepers are supposed to do. I have no moving advice, sorry. Good luck with the move.

Hello and welcome. :)

As already stated wet newspaper is good for transporting plants.

When I've moved house with my fish I used my esky (before I had Styrofoam fish boxes).

All the best with your move. :)

Oh an esky is a good idea, I'll have to remember that for the future. Thanks!

Hi Hellobird, just popping in here to say how Awesome it is to read about someone treating their Betta like a pet and learning all that is possible to reduce its stress. So Good to see. Sadly, many people seem to have hardened and forgotten that this is what us pet keepers are supposed to do. I have no moving advice, sorry. Good luck with the move.

Thank-you! I do my best to give my betta the best home I can. I work at a small LPS and have gotten into numerous heated discussions with my boss about their care, and how they don't actually enjoy being kept in 500ml of water their entire life.. That and the non-aquatic plants she insists on stocking, hopefully one day she will do some research into it. :|

hello and welcome

Thanks!