grubby

Diatom Filter, does anyone actually have one of these ? Retro equipment.

The design of these things hasn't changed since the 1960s. TFH used to be full of adverts for them. I have never seen one in Australia. Does anyone actually own one or owned one and what are they like. I would love to start a thread on retro aquarium equipment. The oldest piece of kit that I have is an eheim 2213 that says made in West Germany on it that I bought in the 1980's, still works well. Anyone remember whisper pumps ? What is the oldest piece of kit that you have and do you still use it ?

post-3726-14711634979339_thumb.jpg

Hey Grubby, i have an old Penguin hang on which is still running, bought it in the early eighties, i also have one of these Vortex Diatom filters i bought in the eighties and still going strong. They are excellent for polishing the water and removing very fine particles, used to use it on my tanks entered in the RNA show but that was a lifetime ago.

Hey Grubby, i have an old Penguin hang on which is still running, bought it in the early eighties, i also have one of these Vortex Diatom filters i bought in the eighties and still going strong. They are excellent for polishing the water and removing very fine particles, used to use it on my tanks entered in the RNA show but that was a lifetime ago.

I had to go see a customer in Mt Crosby today, stopped at a really scuzzy produce place on the way back, they had all sorts of retro things, Undergravel filters still in their 80's packaging.

Did you manage to find that recipe for getting daphnia and copepods to grow ?

I had to go see a customer in Mt Crosby today, stopped at a really scuzzy produce place on the way back, they had all sorts of retro things, Undergravel filters still in their 80's packaging.

Not Brookfield by any chance? If so that's a really great shop!

Nitrite in water + light = greenwater

Green water + daphnia = growth

At least thats a theory I have wanted to test for a while.

Actually thanks, I used the wrong terminology though. Aquatic has a recipe to seed for Daphnia and Copepods .

Heard that place was bought a bit back by a South African family. I used to get bird stuff there from the old guy Eroll. Hope I got that name right anyway.

No that is an awesome produce store. This was on the other side of the river and very ordinary.

I think you are talking about the one as you come off the Toowoomba H'way onto Mt Crosby Road near the roundabout, is this right? hav'nt been in there for years.

The last time i saw the Vortex advertised was on AOA site i think about 2years ago and was around the $700.00 mark. Would this be right Donny?

The seeding receipe was for producing green water and culturing all sort of critters in a pond situation and introducing Rainbow fry to grow out. With the abundant supply of constant food the fry would grow at an incredible rate. I wrote this up and posted it on here a few months back, if i remember rightly i had Boesmani in the pond and after 5weeks the grew to 40mm.

Does anybody else remember this high tech piece of junk, air driven HOB filter and yes I had one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71866[/ATTACH]

Good god, that thing looks like a North Korean Stomach pump. Never seen one .

Anyone remember that water change device that filled your tank with a very thin jet of water. The logic was that a fine jet of water mixed with air removed chlorine and ergo you didn't need to use neutraliser.

Yes i still have a box (150 ish) of the auto water changers, most still work but jets clog with corrosion and buildup.

I have a vortex, I have lots of old style filters, I have several hundred under gravel filters, Ive got a mechanical piston air pump that needs oiling once a week fron 1940's (I think). Still operates perfectly but needs a cotton ball filled pre chamber to stop oil getting to fishtank. I've even got some framed tanks that use putty to make them water tight. You need to re-seal if they dry out or get moved. One of these has a slate bottom and the naked flame kerosene lamp used to heat the tank in winter. I've tested to make sure it works but it's now in my fish museum along with a lot of other fish crap

Broke the jar on my vortex a month ago....dam

In the day they reckon diatom filtered white spot.

Off to the tip gift shop to look at jars.

Yes i still have a box (150 ish) of the auto water changers, most still work but jets clog with corrosion and buildup.

I have a vortex, I have lots of old style filters, I have several hundred under gravel filters, Ive got a mechanical piston air pump that needs oiling once a week fron 1940's (I think). Still operates perfectly but needs a cotton ball filled pre chamber to stop oil getting to fishtank. I've even got some framed tanks that use putty to make them water tight. You need to re-seal if they dry out or get moved. One of these has a slate bottom and the naked flame kerosene lamp used to heat the tank in winter. I've tested to make sure it works but it's now in my fish museum along with a lot of other fish crap

Ah Winston, do you remember the hang on power filters that MarineLand made in the 80's with siphon tubes. Sort of a smoky brown coloured. two sizes and they made a sort of cascade version. Used to be sold every where and always advertised in TFH. I don't want one, just can't remember the name. This was way before Aquaclears came out.

I have a few english aquarist books that date back to the 1930's. Lots of pictures of Firemouths, Angels, platys, tiger barbs and paradise fish. Recommended food was ant eggs. I also have a pair of angel fish set in some sort of expoy resin with a few shells and some val. That is the extent of my antique aquarium collection, unless you count the collection of Italian Murano Glass Aquariums from the 1950s that I collected when I lived in the UK. My job meant that I traveled a lot sometimes for weeks on. Couldn't keep a real tank, so these were my substitute. These aren't mine, mine are packed away at the moment, these are just examples from the internet. These were from Murano and made by a glass making firm called Cenedese. They way a tonne. The 50's and 60's ones are really well made. These days they re churned out for the tourist market and the Chinese have also got in on the act, but they are no way as good as the originals

post-3726-14711634988418_thumb.jpeg

post-3726-14711634987991_thumb.jpeg

post-3726-14711634988337_thumb.jpeg

Edited by grubby

Ah Winston, do you remember the hang on power filters that MarineLand made in the 80's with siphon tubes. Sort of a smoky brown coloured. two sizes and they made a sort of cascade version. Used to be sold every where and always advertised in TFH. I don't want one, just can't remember the name. This was way before Aquaclears came out.

I had a couple of those I think they were called Magnums?

Yeah thats it. They also make a canister that looks like a miniature pool filter with a paper cartridge. I wonder if you can get em here. Donny ? Tech den ?

I still have 2 HOT Magnums .

Neither work as they both need impellers .

They were excellent while they worked - but no parts available in Au any more !.

Edit - I got them off Paul at Redcliffe , when Noah was building his Ark.

Edited by pony-tail