Slipshodman

Convicts - transport with fry

Hi Guys and gals,

I have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when a fella i know has to move on his fishy friends very quickly.

So of course i will oblige by helping him out and taking his pair of convicts and their tank of his hands for next to nicks. Not to take advantage of anyone but it works for him

I will be picking them up this afternoon as he needs them gone asap.(and i mean asap)

one issue is that the convicts have just had fry , he had moved them to a 2 ft tank over the last few of weeks (due to his issue) and they have since breed

So i have a two ft tank with a pair of convicts and god knows how many fry.

My plan is to leave them in the tank and transport the tank and inhabitants 1/3 full.

Any reason this may not be a good idea ?

Also i have googled a bit about convicts as i have not had them before but any comments about care, food etc would also be handy.

Cheers

Edit: I should add the travel time will only be 5 to 10 mins max

Edited by Slipshodman

Use a bucket. Never move a tank with water in it. The ass could blow out or a seam could let go if it sloshed to much.

As for the fish. Convicts are tough buggers they wil be fine

Thanks for the advice

I used a bucket to transport the fish, when i picked them up the fella i got them from had emptied 80% of the water in the tank, he had said they had fry at little wriggler stage just hatched but after looking in the near empty tank i couldn't find them anywhere.

I don't know if the stress of the water level may have made the parents eat them or maybe they were not really there in the first place and the tank was quite messy so i think he had given up on cleaning it for a few weeks, so moved the fish into the bucket, emptied the tank and loaded them all up for the trip home.

I got three tanks off this guy, a 2ft which had the convicts in it (75ltr) , a 160 ltr half round tank (3ft x2ft x 2ft) and 1ft x 1ft x 2ft hexagon tank, so two more to set up later on....Oh the joy of MTS...ha ha ha

Having the 160 ltr as the bigest tank i decided to set that one up for the convicts, i gotta say i didn't like the half round at first but now its set up in the lounge room i like that i can view these guys going about there business from where i normally sit with no obstruction of view from a corner.

Anyway , so i thought i would share my new friends with you, i used the filter media from the 2ft tank they were in in the 160ltr tank, and used the water that was left in the tank with new water, acclimatized the fish in the bucket etc as you do

Left there caves etc from there original tank as well but may change that down the track, just wanted them to be as settled as quick as possible. Oh and the spoungie is from my 4ft i had running as a back up bio media ready to go for any event so hopefully will help the whole process.

I can't stop watching these little guys, rearranging sand to suit how they want it , hiding in caves and then coming out and playing.

post-15484-14711634999132_thumb.jpg

post-15484-14711634999332_thumb.jpg

post-15484-14711634999513_thumb.jpg

post-15484-14711634999711_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slipshodman

nice convics mate hope they go well 4 you

Thanks [MENTION=15486]johnbetta[/MENTION]

I had a little trouble with the male beating up the female and had to put a divider in the tank for 2 weeks, but since i have taken that out they have been fine with each other.

Now its just a waiting game for "FRY TIME"

post-15484-14711635134889_thumb.jpg