GotCrabs

Richgro Play Sand

Going to head down to Mitre 10 tomorrow and grab a bag of Richgro Play Sand to put in the bottom of the smaller bathtub I have, just going to use this tub as a nursery grow tub, just put cuttings of this and that in there and let them grow, also store other plants that I have to put in the bathtub to come, will this sand be OK, I know to wash it a lot before hand as well.

post-15973-14711634997244_thumb.jpg

Looks like the same stuff that I've purchased from Bunnings up here for my son's sandpit...not so long ago.

I've never used it in a tank. But it looks very similar to what was in the pots of water plants I've purchased thru Gumtree. Some of the plants had a mix of soil and sand in the pots.

Let us know how it goes/grows ;)

[MENTION=15973]GotCrabs[/MENTION] , I used this stuff over the weekend for my new tank

Washed it over and over again till the water running through it cleared up, probably took me a good hour or so to wash it well.

But works a treat, the tank was cloudy over night after adding so took about 12 hours to settle , but my convicts are loving playing in it

And at only $7 for a 20 kg bag compared to the $25 for 5 kgs for aquarium sand gotta be better off

Have some like that in one tank, it was quite grey in colour. Bought some swimming pool filter sand after that, beautiful brown colour and not as fine as the grey sand. Looks great and didnt cloud, fish love it, but was $20 for 20kg. Meets the standards for human drinking water filters so im ok with that haha.

I did a pH test on it too, going to add it into my geo tank once it's done being built by Dennison. Had no affect on the pH of my water. Compared it to the 30kg of sand I bought for $90 at a pet store the guy said would not affect pH. Guess they were wrong. Haha

post-6998-14711635000456_thumb.jpg

Just grabbed two bags from Mitre 10, $8.50 each, once the tub has been plugged up I'll give the sand a decent wash, it's just going into a tub that'll be a grow out, nursery tank for now, have wondered about this sand for ages though to see how it went in tanks.

Wash it threw a kitchen metal mesh strainer. All the silt gunk falls through even when dry leaving the bigger grains. A lot easy and quicker this way. Also don't forget to have the intake(s) of ur filters well above the sand.

Wash it threw a kitchen metal mesh strainer. All the silt gunk falls through even when dry leaving the bigger grains. A lot easy and quicker this way. Also don't forget to have the intake(s) of ur filters well above the sand.

The sand is going to be used in a bathtub outside unfiltered, be loaded full of plants though, but will keep that in mind in the future if I decide to run the sand in a tank, especially for a native tank display.

I have recently started putting a fine layer of the bunnings sand in the bottom of my malawi cichlid grow outs, the fish love playing with it, and I don't cry when I siphon it out by accident......It's just so cheap.

But yeah dirty, haven't used it with plants though so good luck!

Only put the 1 20kg bag in, was more than enough, gave it a good wash for awhile, planted everything in and filled, going good so far, still slightly cloudy but doesn't matter at the moment, it'll settle, I'll fill more tomorrow.