The Tech Den

Macropore GOLD- For Soft Water Fish and Shrimp.

Are you keeping fish that like soft water? Well, we have the product for you!!!

Macropore Gold.... it's the Ion-exchange resin that softens your water!!

It will also remove hydrated lime, polish your water and remove tannins!!! Wow!!!

Perfect for fish like Discus, Apisto's, L-Number Catfish, Angels, Barbs, South American Dwarf species, Tetra's and Rams. It's fantastic for your shrimp tanks too!! Just place it in a media bag and put it somewhere water will flow through it like an internal filter or a canister.

Can be recharged.

This product really is amazing. It would also work really well being run in conjunction with Macropore White.

Click on the link below to add one to your shopping cart today!!

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Macropore_Gold_Water_Softener_1Litre_p/mpg1l.htm

post-1338-14711635018745_thumb.jpg

I'm far from knowledgeable about such products, so genuine question. Does it reduce tds?

No - replaces other elements with Sodium .

TDS remains the same hardness drops . salinity increases . Works for some species , not others !

I have been considering trying it for natives because our Rainwater is tainted and not suitable for fish ( airborne pollutants and roof contamination ) and we do not have enough water pressure for RO .

I have been considering trying it for natives because our Rainwater is tainted and not suitable for fish ( airborne pollutants and roof contamination )

I was once advised by an engineer that any toxins in a rainwater tank slowly gravitate to the bottom mulm

water entering a tank may not be suitable for drinking but stored water generally is

I was once advised by an engineer that any toxins in a rainwater tank slowly gravitate to the bottom mulm

water entering a tank may not be suitable for drinking but stored water generally is

I am collecting in an IBC .

The crap in the bottom gets stirred up by the pump whenever I pump the water out . Even worse the film on the top of the water smells like a Petroleum product - maybe diesel .

I have a beach to the east 1 major road to the west and another major road to the north so pollutants are many - ( not doing my health any good either )

I use a mix of rain water and tap water. I pump the rain water from the water tank through a two stage micron and carbon filter in to an ibc, age and treat for 12 to 24 hours. Change the filter cartridges ever 3 months (due for a change now).

I can't find much information about macropore gold on the forums etc.

Will macropore gold still remove tannins?

Will macropore gold still remove nitrogenous waste?

I have bought macropore gold to soften water for discus however people same to say it makes no difference or raises gH as per this paragraph.
" Now, however, it appears your meaning to try to use a water softener, which again, won't work*. Water softeners only impact gH, not kH. Additionally, as has already been mentioned, water softeners soften the water by exchanging two sodium ions for every one Ca or Mg ion they remove, resulting in a higher TDS, not lower.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?126778-Soft-water-or-softened-water-for-Discus-breeding-Water-Expert-professiona-please

Can you please share your thoughts?