pyrus

Apistogramma Agassizii Double Red

Hi all,

My Apistogramma Agassizii Double Red Female keeps killing her mates! she has gone through 3 so far..

can any one offer any advise? She keep chasing them to the top of the tank and never lets up till they are dead...

How large is the tank?

Is there enough hiding places in the tank?

My agassizii tanks used to have a lot of drift wood, IAL and Java moss.

Have you tried some floating pipes?

I used to use floating drainage pipe cut in to 10cm lengths.

The tank is a 2ftx18x18, I have lots of hiding places 4 bits of drift wood and lost of plants, she is also attacking the neon tetras.

Any pics? Have you left 'her' on her own for a couple of weeks? I'm with goneself here, i'd say it isn't a female. Especially based on 'her' keeping them all at the top of the tank in a 2x18x18.

You need enough structure in the tank so there is no clear line of sight from one end to the other, especially near the bottom, to avoid territorial aggression. It also helps if you have the cave over to one side and the opening facing towards the side.

Do you have a picture of the tank?

Another way to distract them if to have another pair in a tank right next to them. Lots of posturing and aggression but no risk of injury. Sometimes a mirror can do the same. Having another 'female' next to her will often provide enough distraction to keep her from beating up the male too much.