175Myles

Lid idea for a small tank?

Hey guys, I have a small tank that I want to give to my mum but it is without a lid and has no lid supports, I bought the tank about 5 years ago and it had plastic lid holders and a glass lid but somewhere along the line all that crap got lost or thrown out. So I need an idea for a cheap easy to shape lid.

The tank has a hang on back filter so it needs to be easily cut. I'm thinking acrylic but I don't have any way of keeping it on top without the supports.

If you have spare glass and silicone and can make the supports, then just add a glass lid = $5. But if you don't, then cant see how you could 'safely' have a lid on this without either a lot of ugly (and dangerous?) overhang, or without spending more than the tank may be worth?

Sorry, no help there I know.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6137&catID=115

Edited by IsaRich

Yeah those look alright, the glass is 4mm thick, it's only like 18 litres or something. Just want to put a fighter in it for her and maybe a few cherry shrimp. The main reason she needs a lid is she lives next to a park and the house has no air con so whenever the council mows; the house fills up with dust and crap, so I would like to avoid the tank getting filled up with as much crap as possible.

Maybe just glad wrap the entire tank and only have the filter exposed lol.

I had to get a replacement lid not long ago, found supports at my lfs but can also get them on eBay. I found a local window shop that stocked acrylic and just got them to cut a piece to size and was very cheap, then used a small jigsaw to customise the sheet to suit my filter and airline. All up it only cost me about $5 to get a lid set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk