Sign in to follow this  
IsaRich

Lighting advice needed please.

Hi everyone,

Am buying a light next week and need some advice on what lens angle I should choose for it.

It is to illuminate cichlids in a 6ft x 2ft x 28 inch high tank, waterline is 26 inches, NON PLANTED tank.

But I also have a growing (16cm) pleco in the tank and am ok with growing a modest amount of algae for him.

I am getting a single LED tube from a non sponsor site, Aus manufactured and will suit my 24V power supply system I am slowly working through.

It uses 36 x 3w Cree LED's, and I have the option of 120, 90, 60, 45, 30 or 15 degree lenses on the LED's.

Tthe light will sit about 5 inches above the waterline. And I am not growing plants with it.

So to maximise fish colouring while illuminating most of the tank, what would my ideal lens angle be?

60? 90? one of the others? Any help much appreciated, I am at a loss with how water refraction and etc would bounce this light around the place....

I have MML tubes with no lens (120) on a bunch of tanks and I have two rows with 90 degree lenses on my 6x2x2. Can certainly tell the difference and 90 seems "about right" to me. but I havn't seen 60. No lens (120) is too diffuse on a 2ft tall tank.

I have MML tubes with no lens (120) on a bunch of tanks and I have two rows with 90 degree lenses on my 6x2x2. Can certainly tell the difference and 90 seems "about right" to me. but I havn't seen 60. No lens (120) is too diffuse on a 2ft tall tank.

Awesome Grubs - 'exactly' the experience and tips I was looking for, many thanks.

I have emailed Fred at MML asking his opinion, 60 or 90 seems to be better.

Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this