saundma

How does everyone adjust there parameters?

I know this question has probably been covered a thousand times but can't seem to find a definitive answer so sorry in advance. So basically my town water is at a ph of 8 my gh is 143.2 and my kh is at 107.4. What is the best way to adjust these levels to a more acceptable level for discus? Particularly when doing water changes.

If you really are adamant on lowering pH, etc. Look in to Reverse Osmosis filters. What you want to look for is ratio of RO water to waste water, where to store RO water and mix with tap water and then pump to aquarium, how much RO water you will need per week for water changes.

And listen to the video. So much good information in it.

Thanks [MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION] will definitely check it out. Would you say that my water parameters are unsuitable for discus? From my research I would say that my ph is way to high.

I do have a 5000l rainwater tank but want to avoid using it as my main source of water as its pretty normal for it to run dry two-three times a year due to lack of rain. Could I possibly do a ratio of town and tank water to lower my ph? Tank water is pretty soft and stays around a 7ph

I do have a 5000l rainwater tank but want to avoid using it as my main source of water as its pretty normal for it to run dry two-three times a year due to lack of rain. Could I possibly do a ratio of town and tank water to lower my ph? Tank water is pretty soft and stays around a 7ph

Thanks [MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION] will definitely check it out. Would you say that my water parameters are unsuitable for discus? From my research I would say that my ph is way to high.

I haven't kept discus at those ranges so really can't comment. But aquarium strain discus are much more tolerant of pH range, as long you keep the pH stable. A lot of this is covered in the video.

I use a mix of filtered rain water and tap water for my discus. The rain water helps lower the TDS of the tap water.

My Town water is about 7.6PH,

I put tap water into a 100ltr plastic drum "water tank" (whatever you want to call them),

treat with dechlorinator and PH Down, and let stablise for a day or two with a couple of airstones in it to keep the water moving,

I dont use any tank or rain water, and my tank PH is stable at 6.2,

I have a mix of wildcaught and tank bred discus, and they are quite happy with the water quality...

If you can get a hold of an 1000Ltr IBC they are very handy,

just make sure that they have only being used for water and not chemicals :-/

Yeah that definitely sounds like a good idea [MENTION=15440]mikie91au[/MENTION] Can I ask a rough idea of how much ph down you use per letre?

in my opinion pH down is useless for Discus as it doesn't deal with the real problem, high TDS.

Again, this is covered in the video.

and everyone is entitled to there opinion,

I was simply stating what I do for my discus tank, which as I said includes both wild-caught and tank bred, and they are very happy,

so whilst aged tap water may not be the only option out there it does work.

That's just it, it's not just my opinion. It's the opinion of many, many very experienced Discus keepers (and other fish).

That video I linked to, it's a presentation by Al Sabetta at last years North American Cichlid Association conference. It's not just any old joe making a video for YouTube.

Or you can read this thread, and pay particular attention to the responses from Rod.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/help-fish-health-diseases-water-quality-12/caboolture-water-92671/

you can make RO/DI filters more efficent so there is less of a loss of waste water. all you do is add another cartridge and cycle the waste water back into it. yes it wont be as pure but should be perfect for freshwater tanks.

Hi Sundma,

There are other options you can use to lower the pH of the water such as substrate Takashi Amano, bags of peat and Indian almond leaves in a stocking in your canister filter.

from Josh

The "natural" ways don't really work. The problem is not so much a high pH, it's the disolved solids content. And the only way to change it, is to dilute the high disolved content with "pure" water which contains no disolved minerals etc. Then you can lower the pH with natural methods.

Use your tap water, lowering PH is a lot of stuffing around and unless your breeding them it's not something I would bother with. Better stable water than perfect parameters.

If you must, cutting RO water would be my preferred way.